Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im getting my windows tinted soon, and I was wondering if black, being the color of my car, makes the tint look any darker or lighter??
Because Michigan law says you can go as dark as you want in the back, but only as dark as 30% in the front, I was wondering which options I should go with:

Option 1: 30% in the front 20% in the back

Option 2: 20% all around

Option 3: 20% in the front 5% in the back

But, if the black on my car makes a difference that will help me decide which to go with..Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
are you going to do the tinting yourself? if so goodluck on the rear, it takes a pro to do the back window with one sheet. after going threw 4 rolls i fially got the back. as for % the black on your car makes the tint look lighter. i would go with 20% all around. it would make it look even. good luck and post pics up

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would go with Option 3. I have 20 all around except for the front to which are at 35 (missouri legal limit) I wish i would have gone 5 all around and 20 in the front. I don't think the cops will bug you too much since 30 and 20 aren't too different. Like bdnld4482 said your black car will make the tint look lighter

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I would do it legally so you don't have any problems with the local police. My vote is for option 1.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
^^ i wouldnt say its that hard, there is a write up in here that somone used a steemer and it came off like butter. if you dont have a steemer the lots of elbo grease

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
You could also do 30% on the sides and 20% on the back. Just so you don't get much trouble with the po po's. 1 less thing to pull you over for and you don't get the 2 different shade look. The 'darkness' of the tint is also from the interior of the car. The darker the interior, the 'darker' the tint. I have 50% on the sides of my Mazda 6 and it has a black interior and my Focus has a grey interior and the 6 looks darker. But if i was you, i'd do 30% all the way around just to be on the safe side. You still want to be able to see at your back window [;)]

Be thankful you don't live in Ohio. Only 50% allowed on the front 2 and whatever you want on the back [?|] [?|] I really wanted 35% all the way around but I'd be pulled over in a heart beat [lockdance]

·
Registered
418 Posts
Option 2, though 20/30 on the front and 5% on the rear would be kinda sehksay.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I went with 30% on both sides, and 20% on the back. Now, im wishing I went darker, like 20% all around. I did get it tinted professionally, so they messed with the back window. I tried on my last car and it just pi**ed me off. The guy that did it said that the black car would make the tint look "darker" I think hes lieing to me now. Even though I went lighter I might not be pulled over as much, the good part I guess. I'll post pics tomorrow.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
In WA. state 35% is the legal limit - what a joke. If that's the legal limit then why does every tint shop in the state install anything you want? What ever, I went 25% all the way around my 08' Sedan and really like it.

PS: Darker INTERIOR will make the tint appear darker.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I know I went to a place near my house and they wouldnt go 20% all around, they said "it's the law", so I went to another place and they said they would go to whatever I wanted. But I do have black interior, so hopefully that will "darken it". Thanks alot guys!

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
The black interior will make a huge difference. After mine was done with 25% it was sitting beside one of the ladies cars that worked at the shop. She had 30% with a dark interior and her's looked a lot darker than mine.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
yup, less light being reflected off the interior will make the tints look darker. this is mostly caused by lighting getting in there via the windshield. now...many of us have our windshields COMPLETELY tinted as well. i used to until the ociffers started not to like it.
i had 20% on the windshield with a 5% strip and 5% everywhere else. you couldnt see inside the windshield unless you gott your head to the glass. i loved it. my car will soon be blacked out again this winter. i cant wait.
granted, i have upgraded Mach HIDs so seeing at night is not an issue. dark neighborhoods and turns sometimes become a challenge though. oh and forget about backing up at night unless you have light.

tint it to the limit!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hahaha..is that legal in your state scrammer? If it was legal in my state I would totally have it done, I wouldnt care if I couldnt backup. Also, if my car was not a daily driver and I stored it I would tint it like that, on account not alot of cops would see it.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Yea, I live in a neighborhood without street lights and the first time I pulled up to an intersection at night and looked both ways and I thought - DAMN it's dark tonight. Then I figured out what was going on. It's a good idea to pay extra attention at night until you get used to the tint.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Well, i dont know about your tint laws, but in hawaii legal limit is 28%, and the fine for having is like, $287ish PER window. If you have a real [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] cop he'll check all the windows, but most of the time they nab your tint for only one window. So if youre willing to pay the fine, go for illegal tint.

I got 30% all around on my car, and despite the grey interior, its pretty dark. I regret not going 20 on the back window but.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
sry to thread jack, but... does anybody know how much a professional tinting costs? i wanna get a 20% rear and two back windows (in VT no tint at all is allowed on front windows[bash] )

1 - 20 of 31 Posts