Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a timing belt fail, ive replaced cylinder head, head gasket, timing belt, water pump etc but I'm having issues with the timing tensioner. I've set the timing and the tensioner, when I crank by hand the tensioner Jumps slightly and clicks. It's a 2009 focus 2.0 tdci 136bhp. I've tried 3 different tensioners (2new ones) and all have the same problem

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
Can't say on that engine exactly as we do not have it stateside.

BUT, it may be helpful to know that many of the tensioners do not simply set at a certain tension to then bolt down solid with no further movement once that force against the belt has been established.

Rather, now the tensioners can be in an arc of range to still work, it is not solid locked down at the pointer, and can move the pointer around slightly in the trapped range.

Meaning, if you are pretty close with the pointer then ignore it, it will be fine, some slight jumping is normal. The method of tensioner construction used there is to allow the super loose belt tension settings used now and one reason the belts last so much longer than they used to, they commonly do not run nearly so tight as old school ones did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts