Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On aftermarket cams there is a metal piece that sticks off of the camshaft and on aftermarket cam gears there are two holes where the metal piece can fit into. When you tension up the timing belt after the install you are suppost to leave the cam gear bolts loose so that the timing belt can tension up without moving the cams out of time. If this is done the gears will move a little to make up the space to allow the belt to tension, my question is how do you line up the cams metal piece and one of the two holes in the cam gears up once the tension has been applied.
I tried this once last weekend but left the cams and cam gears installed with each other during the install (timing belt tensioning) and that caused my intake cam to retard itself and because of that my car is now out of time. So, if you have any input or have installed cams and gears before I would appriciate your input, thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
........I guess no input. I will be redoing this on Saturday, so if anyone has any helpful info prior to that please let me know.

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
if you use the ford racing cam timing tool and dont remove it until after the belt is tightened there shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With my question is though is on the new cams and gears they each have a part on them that connects to the other for stronger contact. The cams have a machined cylinder shape of metal that comes off its end and the cam gears have two holes. The metal on the cams fit into one of the two holes that are on the cam gears. When the cam gears are bolted to the cams this forms stronger contact keeping the cams from being able to move out of timing.
My question is when I tension up the timing belt the intake cam moves (retards) itself a few degrees. In the directions for the installation it says to leave the cam gear bolts loose allowing the gears to move with the tension instead of the cams moving (like how mine did). So, I was wondering since the cam has to fit into one of the two holes on the gears, how will I be able to get them lined up after I tension the timing belt? Will it just be trial and error or is there a quick accurate way to do this?
Let me know if this is any clearer or not. Thanks again for your responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts