Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
The timing pins holds the crank at TDC, it is installed at the rear of the block(flywheel/flexplate side), there is a little plug you remove to install it.

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
It is located on the Cooling fan/Header side of the engine twords the clutch end of the engine at the bottom of the block , there is a bolt in the hole and you remove the bolt and install the timing tool

Tom

·
Registered
975 Posts
next to the crank sensor

·
Vinyl + LED guru
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found it and did the timing...but I think it's off. Or the valve lash is wrong, or something...

Compression:
Cyl 1: 0
Cyl 2: 35
Cyl 3: 65
Cyl 4: 165

If the timing was off several degrees, would it have such a cascading effect??

·
Registered
188 Posts
Looks like your crank shaft is on its second stroke. One more full rotation and you should be at TDC for #1. You are running stock cams correct?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ok you are going to need to be very careful when timing this thing. You do not want the valves to hit the pistons. First off is the timing bar in the cams correctly? If it is then you just need to find out how far off your crank is.

After taking a peak at lhc_focus posts, you can see that the key for the crank should almost be pointing straight up when you are at TDC. If it is pointing toward the ground then you could possibly be 180 degrees out on the crank. It could also be 180 out and on the wrong stroke. So this is a hard one, I am not sure how you could get the crank back to tdc without hurting the valves, besides tearing it apart...hopefully you are just a few degrees off. Good luck.

·
Vinyl + LED guru
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The valves won't hit...I've done full rotations by hand and nothing hits. Also, when we tried timing it before, the intake cam locked up and snapped the bolt because it didnt spin at all. I thought all the valves were bent so I took it all apart again, and even then nothing was bent, had a mechanic check them also. So I think they will be fine. I think this is all a timing issue still.

I think I need to take the acc belt off to check the crank position.

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
Thought you were going to call me back

If you install the pin and it hits then your crank is right its what the pin is there for , if you install the pin and the cam bar then all is like it should be and your at DTC , you cant be 180 off if the pin is in correctly

Tom

·
Vinyl + LED guru
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going to but I had to work and didn't get to check the lash...ill do that today and call you with results! Thanks for all your help so far!

·
Vinyl + LED guru
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tt rained like a bitch today...didn't get a chance to go look at the lash, Tom...since I don't have a garage :-\

1 - 15 of 15 Posts