Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my aem exhaust cam gear installed, its set at zero for right now.
just trying to find wat adjustmenst are others running, want to see wat nos. are people getting with either retarting or advancing the timing on these adjustable cam gears.
i read someone had retarted 3 degrees and more top end but less low end.
i just want to have an idea wat is possible before i start missing with it.

thanks in advance for all the response and feedbacks.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Man, I saw your question yesterday but didn't have time to respond and I am underwhelmed with the help you have gotten!

Many would say that you NEED to dyno tune the gear or it is useless.....I disagree. If you have some seat-time built up you will know if the car feels better or not. It may not give you the last HP but moving the gear and driving it should be interesting and, believe me, you will KNOW when you have the right setting.

My car likes -4...feels the best there. Below 1500 has less power but it is easy to drive around. I tune with runs up the local mountain and the -4 does well there. From 2500 up, there is no advantage to advancing it any more and the power is better with more revs than any other setting I have tried.

I would advise trying -4 to start...it should be a LOT stronger once it comes up on the cams at 2500-3000. Try -6 and -2 to see if you feel any difference. I think most SVTF's (if the cams are set properly) will run best around the -4 mark.

Have fun trying things out and don't forget to run each setting for a few days to allow the car to get used to it. Better yet, clear the computer with each cam adjustment so the engine will learn the new operation paramaters. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I think I'm running at -2 or so.

I've been meaning to do some G-Tech Pro runs, but I don't have the patience.

·
FF Affiliate
30,872 Posts
RecoilRob said:

Many would say that you NEED to dyno tune the gear or it is useless.....I disagree. If you have some seat-time built up you will know if the car feels better or not. It may not give you the last HP but moving the gear and driving it should be interesting and, believe me, you will KNOW when you have the right setting.

My car likes -4...feels the best there. Below 1500 has less power but it is easy to drive around. I tune with runs up the local mountain and the -4 does well there. From 2500 up, there is no advantage to advancing it any more and the power is better with more revs than any other setting I have tried.

I would advise trying -4 to start...it should be a LOT stronger once it comes up on the cams at 2500-3000. Try -6 and -2 to see if you feel any difference. I think most SVTF's (if the cams are set properly) will run best around the -4 mark.

This couldnt be further from the truith , If the butt dyno was so good we would all of saved 40,000 and never bought a real dyno , You MUST put your car on a dyno to get the cam gears set properly and to tell some one that has any Focus to start with a "X" setting is just wrong because there is no cam pin so no 2 cam gear installs will be in the same location like with a cam and gear with a center pin . There is no way to feel a 2 to 4 HP gain or loss and thats about all a 2deg or 4 deg change is going to make

I have installed 10+ sets of cam gears on the SVT and have yet to see any gains at all or have i see anyone post a dyno with a before and an after done the same day with nothing more than a Exh cam gear added save your money for a mod that works

Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the advice guys, i should be trying something out later this week maybe take it to a dyno shop and play around a little and see wat #'s come out. i'll post the results as soon as i am done with it hopefully this week.
thanx again to u guys.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If this was a race car, trying to get the last HP would make sense. But, mine is only street driven and I am MUCH more interested in how it 'feels'.

I CAN tell a big difference in how it runs when I move the gear around.....at part throttle. The response and how the power comes up is very discernable.

As Tom says, there is...at best...only a few HP difference at WOT so I contend that setting the gear to where it 'feels' best is acceptable for a street car where throttle response is more important than absolute HP.

There isn't really a practical way to test 'part throttle' response on a chassis dyno, so the ol' butt version is all that is left.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I Just got one my self, havnt installed it yet, but I am gonna have to do it by butt dyno, becuase I dont feel like paying for a dyno run every time I want to check it. I got it knowing it wasnt going to add a bunch of HP but I am trying to get all I can with n/a for now.

·
FF Affiliate
30,872 Posts
Did you guys see the part where i said "I have installed 10+ sets of cam gears on the SVT and have yet to see any gains at all or have i see anyone post a dyno with a before and an after done the same day with nothing more than a Exh cam gear added save your money for a mod that works "

Your butt will tell your mind what it wants to hear nothing more

Tom

·
Registered
507 Posts
go get em tom. not to sound like aparty pooper, but tom is Ohhhhhh sooooo right. Mods that work, If you can't afford em save your cash...

·
Registered
507 Posts
given toms got turbo. But it's tom, enough said

1 - 10 of 10 Posts