Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was poking around on my 2016 and notice a nice black spot just below the back of the timing cover and on either the engine or transmission. Not sure which one it is.

I showed my brother and says it's a seep, and not bad enough to worry about at the moment. You guys know this car better than him though so I'm wondering. Am I looking at the timing cover area or is this a part of the engine? I know these engines have issues with both the valve cover gasket and timing cover, so kinda seems like a toss up.

I also thought I saw a fleck of oil on one of my spark plugs a while back, so it could be valve cover, but I'm honestly unsure.

Gonna monitor this.

EDIT: I honestly don't even know at this point. There's an area above the alternator that is black and wet, and has a bunch of debris. There's also a black area above the water pump as well. Last year I changed my oil and forgot to put the cap back on the fill plug, so that's murking this issue up too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks pretty minor. I would not worry about it. I don't know the Focus cars as well as others might, but It's minor either way.

Like you say it could be what dripped down when you had oil come out of the fill cap.

·
Registered
861 Posts
EDIT: I honestly don't even know at this point. There's an area above the alternator that is black and wet, and has a bunch of debris. There's also a black area above the water pump as well. Last year I changed my oil and forgot to put the cap back on the fill plug, so that's murking this issue up too.
You mentioned "debris." Is your passenger mount clean? As mine failed, it dumped black debris in the areas near/under it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mentioned "debris." Is your passenger mount clean? As mine failed, it dumped black debris in the areas near/under it.
I actually just changed that mount in the spring but I don't think it was leaking unless I missed something or it wasn't visible with the engine off.

Basically there are areas of black/debris all over in my engine bay. Makes my engine seem way older than it is. Really wish that oil cap issue never happened. Might make a real serious issue harder to detect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
I actually just changed that mount in the spring but I don't think it was leaking unless I missed something or it wasn't visible with the engine off.

If you did it yourself, I'm sure you would have noticed. My mount had dried up black gunk on top and all around the areas under it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts