Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 SE 5sp

Any one have a sound that gets louder as the engine warms up. And revs up too. I have one that is coming from the right wheel well. Its on/in the engine. Temp sensitive and RPM sensitive. At first I thought it was a bearing, I pulled the serpintine belt. all those pulleys are perfect. NOW: 1800 mi. (oil changed 1600mi, no metel) It has been doing it from the day I picked it up with 12mi 5 speed. hear it all the time when driving with the passenger window down.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You pulled the belt and the pullys are perfect? How did you determine this? Did you briefly run the car without the belt and still had the same noise present? If you pulled the belt and just gave each item a little turn by hand, you aren't going to find a noisy bearing that way unless it is completely trashed. a few turns by hand doesn't = nearly 1,000+ RPM nor the additional load of the belt tension.

Since you even went for that in the first place, something tells me your after a squeaking or whining type noise and not a clicking noise. Timing chains don't squeak or whine. This isn't an old squeaky 10spd bicycle you are talking about here. They can make some minor clicking like noise if they are old and stretched, but that's about it. Anything more significant noise wise, something would have to be so far out of whack that it would break in very short order and/or engine not running anywhere near correctly. I don't think it's your timing chain, at all, and this is without even a description of the noise nevermind not seeing it in person. It's just THAT unlikely.

I would put money on it is in fact a bearing in the accessory system somewhere, weather it be an alternator bearing, tensioner pully bearing, ac compressor bearing, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I probably should have prefaced my all of this that I have been a mechanic for close to 30 years, initially I was an ASE certified Truck mechanic, then a marine engineer for many years in Alaska and for the past several years I have been a Boeing 737 Mechanic. Please believe me I have extensive experience troubleshooting problems in a wide variety of applications and this thing has me stumped. It sounds like a dry bearing noise, and almost like a cutting metal noise. I absolutely agree with you if its bad enough its going to fail and that's what I have been kind of waiting for since 000012 miles till now. Its has been getting louder. The three pulleys/bearings I know its not coming from are the tensioner pulley, the water pump bearing, and the alt. This could be simply the serp belt noise that has manifested itself to the noise I am hearing, maybe, not likely. I have loaded/unloaded the Alt ... no change. The one thing I haven't done is squirt a little water on the serp while running to see what the effect is. believe me when I tell you when I get a pilot, or a an operator or a truck driver comes to me with a "noise" complaint, I always have in the back of my head, its normal, or he is imagining it. this is not my imagination. I was kind of looking for some "tribal knowledge" on this (AKA Problem History) with this 2.0 engine. My dealer was no real help either, I ran it in there, the 40 year shop foreman said it was airflow noise ... idiot. I asked him and the service writer if we could listen to a new one, the writer asked the shop foreman if he had a minute to grab one and drive it around because the service writer had another customer waiting and you will love this. the shop foreman, you know the guy who oversees the technicians who fix our cars, you know, that guy? He said ok, "so which model is this, I cant tell one of those from the other now a days" Jesuschrist!! Well in the stone cold new one I could hear the noise, but it was barrly there. I am just surprised if my noise, when loudest when hot is how all the 2.0 MK3s are, that no one else seams to notice it. and on the flip side, if mine is way louder than what is typical ... then I would like to get to the bottom of this. I think its the latter cuz I don't seem to have too many other owners here chiming in that they hear it too

PS I never removed the "drive belt" It could be coming from down there, but it looks ok and is tight as hell

·
Registered
248 Posts
A&P mechanic myself [8D]

I really would be shocked if it's the timing chain. Kind of sucks there isn't much clearance to get to a lot of the accessory stuff with the motor running. Even a $3 POS parts store stethoscope is usually enough to pin down a loud bearing if you have room to get the probe to each pulley. Could also try getting some wd40 into each bearing one by one until you get a change, but that isn't quite as effective due access sometimes.

Anyways, one spot to possibly try is the alternator. Mine had a nice constant squeaky bearing noise to it. It was constant and not conditional tho. Was def the alternator and was gone with a new part installed. I have also heard this same noise to varying degrees in a few other focuses AND a couple of 2013+ escapes. Might just be a result of cheap shiat Chinese bearings used in whoever is supplying the alternators. Just one possibility to consider.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I also started hearing a humming-type noise coming from the bottom-ish right side of my engine compartment. I only really hear it while idling and it's not constant - kind of hard to explain via internet. Anyway, I took the aero cover off the bottom and of course it starts raining. [facepalm]

Still looking into what it is, but I noticed a crack in one of the belts (A/C compressor?) Ugh... Maybe that's what's causing the noise?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, the Alt was towards the top of my list, spun smooth as silk with the belt off, but who knows what kind of changes happen when it gets warmed up and is "alternating"

I guess I will keep on driving it till it gets bad enuf that I can make a positive ID ... bit frustrating. I hate to hi-jack my own thread but I was getting a hesitation while under medium acceleration between shifts, that was frustrating also but going to premium helped, and doing the tape mod and snorkle delete sure helped. I also just pulled out that large black duct instead of cutting it. runs good now!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2014 has the same noise. Can really hear it with the pass window down. Next to a building.
Dealer says its normal for the direct injected motors.
I'm assuming it's the injection pump?
Similar to a diesel engine

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's it exactly! It will reflect off uh large curb or a car or a building back through the passenger side front window. Maybe it's just a trait of this car. But it sure is distracting. Thanks for your reply and if anybody else gets the noise through the passenger front window while open when near A vertical object please chime in. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
No problem. I was originally worried also. Thought maybe brakes dragging or bad accessory bearing. Had it at dealer for a paint decent from the factory to get fixed and I asked about it.

I'm assuming it's the pump being driven By the belt since it's over on the right side.
Reminds me of injectors buzzing in a duramax diesel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also having this issue with my 2014 focus SE. Its from the right side low in the engine bay and closer to the tire i can hear it more. I have been to two ford dealerships and they make me feel that i am "making it up". I checked the belts and tensioner pulley bearing and it seems okay. Anyone successfully resolve this issue?? I can also hear it at high RPM shift and especially in tight spots with walls or cars beside me. Its very dis-satisfying and makes me feel like i wasted my money on something noisy and annoying. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a similar noise. I've got, intake, headers, and exhaust and with the stock tune. I do not hear the noise under load. But when I load toms tune I have heard the noise. I can hear it over my loud exhaust coming from the right front wheel area. I know what the direct injection sounds like. But when I put a load on the engine, you can definitely hear a noise. It's staggered and to me it sounds like a chain is hitting something, like it's a faint click/scratch or like something is rattling around. I hope it isn't spark knock or anything of that sort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I went into ford for my appointment. They looked at my video and said nope not the harmonic balancer but the tensioner pulley. So under warranty they replaced it. Did not fix it whatsoever. Now they are claiming it's the AC Comoressor and want 1,066$Cdn to repair it as it's not under warranty. I'm not paying that unless they can promise or guarantee in writing that it will fix the issue. Seems like my dealership is just lazy and doesn't want to actually try and find the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have the exact same thing going on-
2012 SE, 2.0, 5-Speed MTX-75 @ 146,000 KMs

Sounds somewhat like sheet metal rattling, but only at one exact rpm (800RPM). Goes away north and south of it. Replaced the water pump, serpentine/stretch belt (it had minor play, so still worth doing), noise is still there.

I've checked for loose heat shields but can't seem to find any.

It seems to be coming from the lower end of the engine...Does it make sense that it could a bearing in the A/C? Turning the A/C on and off doesn't change things...but are there bearing that could still rattle regardless?[???:)]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Majority of all mk3 i heard make this noise including mine.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
When you're sitting there at a stoplight, does it sound behind your glovebox (but in the engine bay)? I'll blip the throttle and it makes the sound every time @ 800rpm.

I'm assuming it must be the timing tensioner, but if everybodys does it...then i guess it's alright?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 17 Focus SE with the 2.0 NA and yes i have that sound too. I am convinced its the Alternator pulley bearing thing. Lol. It started abour 500 miles. Im at 2200 miles and the noise is still there.

My reasoning for that is there is a video on YouTube of an 07 Focus making that same sound.. The guy moves camera as car is idling and the noise is louder by the Alternator.

Really wish Ford would fix this for us all. It is embarrassing to drive with it. :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anyone have any luck figuring this out or is this just a normal noise?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts