Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,206 Posts
I started cars with straight 40 in them in the dead of winter here and as close to zero as +5 degrees, I had no issues. It simply cranks a bit slower is all, keep the car tuned up and it still starts in seconds.

Running 0 weight here in the Nissan, just got off the free oil changes, that'll be changing too. Probably to 15W-40 since Walmart sells it cheap.

OP, Ford started with shim and bucket but pretty quickly went to bucket only, it got rid of the variable thickness shims to set clearances, they began to make the buckets variable thickness instead of one size only.

The shims were just more parts to keep inventory on and the buckets sell for more than shims did........a win-win.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah it sounds like it so the noise itself is completely gone though so I dont know what it was but I changed the leaky filter and it's back to normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a shame the use of recommend Ford motor oil wasn't mentioned in this post . Ford motor oil is semi Synthetic , has been for a long time . theirs a reason for this and should be the only oil used . GM has changed to semi Synthetic oil use now too. there are other brands of oil you can get that list there are Semi Synthetic , that's the key to prevent lifter noise .

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Nope not true I don't know where you learned that bull from.
literally every vehicle pretty much made today has gone to full synthetic.
There are many oil standards for different reasons. The semi-synthetic Ford oil is not even that great.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I use penz and has never let me down I feel as if synthetic oil it has its perks but st the same time I just dont see a need for it. I know my ford recommended it but it's fine I'm sure an yeah ford motor oil is literally just the same as others

·
Registered
16,206 Posts
If the oil container does not say FULL synthetic then it is likely it is not, and most that aren't will not tell you the amount of true syn vs. non-syn is in the product.

If the oil is fresh then there is no difference in the amount of wear between the two types except maybe with very thin weights. The only difference syn brings is that it takes ultimate temperature much better to last longer, and under adverse circumstances it can lube somewhat better, say like with 2 strokes where the oil strength gets mostly cut by gasoline thinning it out. Syn does better then. The same applies when the oil weights get lower, syn holds up better with that, and why they can lower the viscosity to help with fuel mileage. Where the 0 weight comes from that you can't find in conventional oil.

The OEM main reason for going to syn is that it is priced higher, they can slip in increases of their own easier into higher prices. It gives more profit for the dealers. The oil DOES last longer under high heat and all they need to say.

I'll continue to take the heavier weight conventional oil at half the price thank you, the gas mileage lost figures at around $5 a year, I save much more than that with the cheaper oil.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts