Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if had alot of mixed answers to this question. So I need to get some actual answers I have a 2.0 duratec which is a 2010 it's at 126 thousand and some change. It was a fleet car from nicer which is a pretty good company around where I live my grandma worked for them and told me they have to take care of their cars. I'm not sure if the timing has actually ever been done one it. Iv been told since it's a timing chain that I dont actually really need to worry about it until its pass double what a belt needs and also been told different. Also if got this out of the blue lifter nise that occurred this morning, now my mechanic whom I trust more then I do myself told me that its bevuse it's getting colder outside and the oils thicker when it's cold. He said that since it goes away when the cars warm or with in a few minutes of running not to worry about it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
He's correct. The chain should probably last the life the car, unless something drastic happens. Make sure you use a oil filter with a anti drainback valve. That helps with cold startups.

·
Registered
336 Posts
May not be lifter noise at all. These engines make a "Ticking" sound when the "Swirl flaps" or "Tumble flaps" need repair. They are butterfly flaps in the intake manifold that regulate air flow into the head

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't know if the 2010 still used the swirl flaps that had a problem with going bad.

Not sure on this. I just know at some point there was a change up.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the oil filter to a napa gold yesterday and today the noise wasn't even there. Aside from that this car blows my mind

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
The mechanic is NOT correct, I've used thick oils for years and zero issues in winter doing it. Either straight 30 or 40 weight even in winter and the thicker the oil the less need you have of anti-drainback valves, The filter people only started using them when the world began to go to thinner oils.

THINNER oils drain back faster, the thicker ones have too much cohesion to easily drain back, why the oil company 'dry starts' thing is a total myth.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The. Noise is gone today but as someone else said its probably just my intake flaps but the noise is gone so I dont know. It's got hydraulic lifters and my other mechanic who's also a good friend of mine told me that same thing about the oil, if running thinner mean it all drips back down that would explain why it was making a noise then because if I had thicker oil it would have stayed up in the lifters over night

·
Registered
62 Posts
You want to use the thinner oils in these engines because of the tight tolerences and passages they have. I like to use Castrol Magnetec because of its ability to coat or stick to parts of engine.
Im sure most modern oils in thin grades do this. Mobil 1, valvevoline, etc...They are all good.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,268 Posts
The. Noise is gone today but as someone else said its probably just my intake flaps but the noise is gone so I dont know. It's got hydraulic lifters and my other mechanic who's also a good friend of mine told me that same thing about the oil, if running thinner mean it all drips back down that would explain why it was making a noise then because if I had thicker oil it would have stayed up in the lifters over night
Get a different mechanic. Your engine does not have hydraulic lifters.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the one who told me I have hydraulic lifters wasn't my actual mechanics hes the one who just ball joint for me and even the he ****** up, slip my control arm up the middle and told me it was fine to ride on

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I said I changed the filter and the noise went away even though iv changed it 3 times now because it keeps leaking

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Iv had tons of mechanic and tons of dealers master techs tell me that the lifter noise is completely normal on this engine when its 30 degrees at night and I go and cold start it. I wish they would of made a switch that when you turn your key over and the gas pump goes there would be an oil pump that starts to circulate the oil through the engine but one can only wish

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
The valvetrain makes noise cold because the stems are relatively long and have to expand more to quieten the motor down once warmed up.

More myth............

'You want to use the thinner oils in these engines because of the tight tolerences and passages they have.'

The engines have no really tighter clearances than ones in the '60s did if you look them up. The thinner oils are for mileage ONLY. They drain back in older engines faster and how I've cured startup rattle in cars by thickening up the oil.

Lifter, tappet, follower, bucket, all the same part on these.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are going to a 16 weight oil in new cars now. You live in a warm climate. I wouldn't want 40 weight in my engine up here in the winter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
See that's what I thought. I thought it was either you had hydraulic lifter or soild lifters but also have heard of the shim and buckets

1 - 20 of 26 Posts