Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE AN 2002 SVT AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN TO CHANGE TIMING BELT IS THIS ENGINE AN INTERFEARENCE ENGINE MY CAR HAS 52000 MILES ON IT THANKS

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
60K is average. Wouldnt hurt to go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yeah, Ignore the 100k crap they try to tell you. Our car is an 'interference motor' which means if your belt breaks, you get bent valves, etc..

I'd go ahead and do it as soon as you can.

·
Registered
232 Posts
FocusSport.com are selling Kent Competition Cam-belts for $49.95. By the description given, they do sound pretty awesome. I might pick this up when I hit 50,000 on my SVTF.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm assuming that results in piston damage too - is the block a loss as well? Seeing that you have the admirable job of being a Ford mechanic, how many have you seen with this problem? It would occur in any Zetec - correct? Damn, that is really getting the old corn cob sideways - owww......

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
totally....and around what mileage do you mechanics usually see the belts go?

geez your making me nervous.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
It actually said something like "support my habit" and had a pot leaf or something. We have seen them go as early as 60ish thousand miles, but usually around 80-100k miles is when we see them break.

This motor just had a couple of bent valves. No block damage or even piston damage. I guess it just depends on each situation.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
^^ yeah no crap. thats pretty sh!tty of them. well, once I get the 300+ bucks to get it done, I will take it in. sitting on 68k miles right now.

I'd do it myself, but I hear our engines can be kind of a pain to do this job too, if you arent well versed in this sort of thing. I have only changed one timing belt..and it was a non-interference SOHC.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I just popped the 90K cherry!!! Is there a tag where they show the last time the belt was done? My car was serviced at the dealership for all of it's work, I wonder if I could have that looked up to see if it has been done...

·
Registered
549 Posts
its not a risk worth taking.my belt was so old that it stretched to the point the tensioner couldnt make up for it.....this was on my last car......and the belt slipped while i was at the track....threw the cams so far out of time that the pistons hit the valves and bent 8 of them.definitly something not to put off..

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
What kind of car was this on btw?
Just refering to a Zetec motor timing belt. I waited until 124k to change out the timing belt on my Contour and luckly it didn't break on me. It had about 6 inches of teeth missing. I will change the belt at about 90-100k miles personally on a Zetec motor and with the SVT Zetec motor, I would have at 70k miles if I wouldn't have sold it.[:(] Actually, on my wife's ZX3, its fixing to turn 100k miles, so its getting soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts