Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and to the Focus scene. I just picked up an '02 ZX3 with about 109k miles on it. PO said the timing be belt had never been replaced so I figured I'd be proactive and go ahead and replace it. I was looking for the whole kit and found it on amazon for like $64. CRoss checked it on O'Reillys and it double that. Is this the right kit and has anybody had any issues with it if you've used it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C2YDG8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I also noticed that the car shakes when I'm sitting at a light. The rpms never fluctuate, it seems to be idling steady. I'm thinking motor mount is probably on the way out. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
that does appear to be it. However you do need the timing kit also.

Passenger side motor mount is known to go bad (usually due to a bad "rear" or transmission mount). Go OEM on this mount!!! do not replace with aftermarket mount for the fluid filled mount as you will be replacing it again before the end of the year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks! About aftermarket mounts.....I was planning on going with the steeda mounts. Any issues with those? Or were you just referring to the off brand cheapo "OEM" replacements? I know I don't necessarily need the steedas and that the original OEM ones would be fine, but I figured what the heck.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I was referring to the ones that you pick up at Auto Zone or the like.

No problem with going with those mounts. just be prepared for engine vibrations to transfer into car vibrations. most people use a tune to up the idle to 900-950 RPM to "smooth" out the "idle" vibrations

with out a idle 800 RPM might get a bit old after a while. but is up to you.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
IIRC also sometime the vibrations are worse when you only have two poly vs 3... I can not recall how correct that is. that or it will kill the non poly mount faster. I just went with all 3 poly when I did my rebuild. I have no problem with the idle vibrations regardless of the RPM.

VF engineering is also another company that makes the mounts. those are the ones I have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My plan was to go poly for all three so thanks for that info. Definitely made that decision easier lol

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Take note on the driver side mount and VF can use the stock air box Steeda needs aftermarket. so just watch out for that depending on your airbox situation.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Also pay attention to SVT vs ZX3 for the driver side mount.... wheels in picture look like SVT 5 spoke perhaps? there is a difference also in that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I saw that. This is just a plain ZX3. Its been lowered and has some aftermarket wheels on it. Thanks again for the heads up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my brother had the same issue with the rear mount, he'd get a clunk while shifting sometimes. jacked it up and looked underneath to find the the bolt going through the mount and into the bracket had stripped out the mount and it was loose, we learned our lesson too on buying an aftermarket mount, the dealer was only like $40 after all said and done for the "upgraded bracket and mount"

·
Registered
70 Posts
dont have the SVT, but i have the rear engine and driver side, and for me the vibration is definitely tolerable (i love it personally haha). I may pull the trigger and get the passenger side poly mount as well. :) zero issues with them so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still acquiring all the parts I need. The only thins I haven't bought are the mounts but will be soon, then I can get this little project going.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
get the CFM Race Poly rear mount the VF/Steeda rear is a 2 piece bushing design and it it SUCKS! it will rip and tear on trans side.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
get the CFM Race Poly rear mount the VF/Steeda rear is a 2 piece bushing design and it it SUCKS! it will rip and tear on trans side.
must be an install issue or something else. I have had that mount for my car for the last 10 years and only replaced the bushings in it back when I was doing my rebuild because I wanted fresh poly since I was replacing the two motor mounts also with poly mounts. I have had no issue or complaints with the bushing.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
must be an install issue or something else. I have had that mount for my car for the last 10 years and only replaced the bushings in it back when I was doing my rebuild because I wanted fresh poly since I was replacing the two motor mounts also with poly mounts. I have had no issue or complaints with the bushing.
No It wasnt an install issue buddy[facepalm] the bushings only go in one... Its a known problem look up posts about it. Its all right though you aint been round here as long as some of us.

The problem is the 2 PIECE BUSHING design on the "Trans side" it rips went through 2 sets of them.I then ended up getting the CFM rear mount now problem is solved

This is why CFM made their mount a 1 piece bushing design

here is a link to another of their mounts for a different application this is EXACTLY what happened to the bushings on my VF rear mount on the 2.3

RHO Design

The driver and passenger mounts have no issue

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
No It wasnt an install issue buddy[facepalm] the bushings only go in one... Its a known problem look up posts about it. Its all right though you aint been round here as long as some of us.

The problem is the 2 PIECE BUSHING design on the "Trans side" it rips went through 2 sets of them.I then ended up getting the CFM rear mount now problem is solved

This is why CFM made their mount a 1 piece bushing design

here is a link to another of their mounts for a different application this is EXACTLY what happened to the bushings on my VF rear mount on the 2.3

RHO Design

The driver and passenger mounts have no issue
I have ready many posts about them many though are only from a few people reporting the same issue or indicating that they had to tweak things to get it in.

as identified I have had my mount for a # of year and the VF engineer has never had any problems and have tracked my car on a few SCCA and NASA events. So, just stating that not everyone has problems.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I have ready many posts about them many though are only from a few people reporting the same issue or indicating that they had to tweak things to get it in.

as identified I have had my mount for a # of year and the VF engineer has never had any problems and have tracked my car on a few SCCA and NASA events. So, just stating that not everyone has problems.
Good for you, just offering an alternative to a "Better designed" product that will prevent an issue that "some" have..... why even bother with the one that has known issues? and the CFM rear mount is cheaper.[facepalm][idea][rolleyes] no brainer thought the OP would like to know.

but thank you for the hen pecking, I love it[thumb]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Adding to the VF Side, I ordered mine last year and they're still going strong. Haven't had a chance to romp around as much as I want to but so far so good in any case. :)

How long did it take until you started seeing noticeable wear & tear and/or failure?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts