Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if the timing belt breaks will your valves hit pistons and do engine damage on a 2002 focus zetec 2.0 . are any of the focus engines interferance engines.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Not on the standard Zetec Engines.

The SVT Focus is the only Zetec Engine that is an interference engine.

-Ray-

·
Registered
595 Posts
^^^im sure all svt owners including myself would like to extend a big thanks to ford for that one^^^lol:)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Just DON'T plan on running it 'till the belt breaks!

DESPITE the engine not being an "interference " design, that guarantees valve damage....
There HAVE been people with bent valves after loosing a belt, PARTICULARLY when it let loose at high RPM....

(hint - do the maint. anyways.... grin)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
If you need to ask this question 1) you didn't use the search button 2) you shouldn't be driving your car

Interference or not you should always maintain your car. My biggest pet peeve, people who don't take care of their cars...

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you need to ask this question 1) you didn't use the search button 2) you shouldn't be driving your car

Interference or not you should always maintain your car. My biggest pet peeve, people who don't take care of their cars...
While I agree it isn't a good idea to run it until it breaks, maybe hes strapped for cash and wants to know if he can get every mile out of it he can.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
While I agree it isn't a good idea to run it until it breaks, maybe hes strapped for cash and wants to know if he can get every mile out of it he can.
refer to point #2 [thumb]

And to the OP. I didnt mean "shouldn't be driving your car" to be a douche. I meant it as shouldn't be trying to squeeze all you can out of your car until something breaks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ford recommended timing belt replacement is at 120k. How far have others pushed this? Is 160k unheard of? Just got an 03 SE Zetec with 148k and winter setting in with no garage means I'm thinking about holding off until spring to do the replace.

Also, is it recommended to do the water pump at the same time? How do the water pumps hold up in Zetecs?

Ok, better yet, from those in the know, please post a suggested list of replacements when doing the timing belt with the priority of the items. ie. Timing Belt, Water Pump, Drive Belt, Drive Belt Pulleys, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I did timing belts on both of my cars at about 150k miles, no issues, belts looked fine, but now I have piece of mind know they are done.
My father in law had a toyota that went 276k miles on original belt, new belt and tensioner and he was back on the road. Don't wait that long.

1. Timing belt and tensioner kit.
2. Water pump can be replaced without distubing the timing covers or belt on the Zetec.
3. All other belts can be changed without disturbing the timing components.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts