Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a basic question for you all.

At how many miles should i change the timing belt? i think i saw something that said 120k miles.. but really? i always heard 70-80k miles on cars.... Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
All that depends on the condition of the belt. I'd start inspecting it at 70-80k. The timing belt is not all that should be replaced when doing a timing belt job. You also have a tensioner to replace, as well as the water pump. You should save up a good bit.

If you have any engine knowledge at all you can probably do it yourself. Timing belts are an exercise in working in close quarters, but nothing horribly difficult so long as you double check what you're doing.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
manual calls for 120k but id say 80-100k would be perfect...im at 108k and im doing mine here really soon...I have everything I need except the water pump and I will get that the day I decide to do it.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
mine made it 135k

ive seen threads where they break in the low 90's tho.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Regular Zetec is 120,000. SVT says to do the SVT motors at 100,000. I'm doing mine at 90,000 this weekend, cheap insurance to do it slightly early.

·
Registered
206 Posts
All that depends on the condition of the belt. I'd start inspecting it at 70-80k. The timing belt is not all that should be replaced when doing a timing belt job. You also have a tensioner to replace, as well as the water pump. You should save up a good bit.

If you have any engine knowledge at all you can probably do it yourself. Timing belts are an exercise in working in close quarters, but nothing horribly difficult so long as you double check what you're doing.
Crapper....why the water pump too?

·
Registered
258 Posts
On a lot of engines, the water pump is driven by the timing belt, and a pump failure will necessitate redoing the timing belt job. The Zetec engine has a completely separate pump and it's own drive pulley, but it it's a fairly difficult job to replace the pump as a stand alone job. I consider these two services to be needed once in the life of the car, and do them at the same time to save a bit on labor time. The water pump can be ignored for now, but may be a cause of trouble in the future.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
im doing the timing belt, idler, tensioner and water pump this weekend too. its best to replace all that while you are there. get it over with. i got new serpantine too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you get your parts through mike from hilbish ford?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
yes sir
dont ask me the prices, i already threw away the invoice.
@around 160-ish for all i listed plus the gatorback serpantine i got at Vatozone for $35

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome, ill give him a call!

thanks everyone again!

i guess better safe than sorry is the right answer then huh?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
im not sure if they are considering the tensioner as the other idler pulley. in which case you would go for the 2 piece.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
40k??? wtf! drive the damn thing!

that is a good question. not sure. maybe trendel will chime in
It was my daily from early 2003 until late 2007. I now live in town and literally live 3 miles away from my work. I bought a Ranger because I like taking on projects and needed a truck to pull stuff. My truck only has 35k miles on it and is an 01 so it isn't any better but that's my daily. LoL as you can see during my later college years the focus got a lot of miles but as soon as I graduated having to drive to my university the miles dropped off. I plan on keeping the SVT Focus for a rainy day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts