Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, Hi everyone, I hate to start up on a forum with a question like this. I did a quick search, being on multiple other forums, I know how annoying repeat questions can be, so I apologize if this has been covered, but I am on holidays, and I have had my car apart twice now. Here's the scoop.

2000 Focus SE 2.0 SOHC SPI
Blew timing belt on the highway, it looked bad so was only a matter of time as it was badly weather checked. So, $300 dollar tow job later I get the car to where I can fix it. here's what I did.

Lined up cam sprocket mark with dimple on head. Lined up crank timing marks (as well as 9th tooth on reluctor ring with sensor). #1 is at TDC. Put new belt on and released tensioner. Seemed pretty easy having never done one of these motors before. started up and ran like a top........for about a day and a half.
Then engine stumbling, bad gas mileage and no power. Crud. Stripped it down again to find I'm out by two teeth on the belt. Reset it again and head out on the highway. After making a pit stop, the car starts acting up again. Dang! I have not torn it down a third time yet, as I can't where I'm at. But here's what I know from the 2nd time. When running the engine with the covers off, there is a fair bit of slack/vibration in the belt at certain RPM's on the long side. I'm not sure how much if any is normal. It also feels like my tensionor spring is a bit weak. I'm thinking that I need to replace my tensionor, or is there something else I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance,
Sheldon

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
when doing a timing belt replacement, it is STRONGLY suggested that the tensioner, idler are replaced as well. most of us also replace the water pump. only cuz its right there and you have all the stuff off to do the work. might as well do it now right?

good luck[thumb]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Oh yeah... tensioner is a must i say. I learned the hard way when doing my buddy's serpentine belt, where his tensioner went bad and caused the belt to slip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts