Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my dilemna.... I live in an area where I have not had to get any work done on my car. I know of no mechanics. Two people I know have recommended two different mechanics. The problem is I have not had work done at either one, so I do not know if they are truly good. I got an estimate at the Ford garage for the timing belt and the quoted me 2.8 hrs for the timing belt. $63 for the timing belt. Just the timing belt is going to cost me $300 at the Ford Dealership .5 hours additional for the water pump..... no cost on the waterpump as of yet

Do you think I should get it done at the dealership or call these mechanics I don't know? SHould I do the water pump? I have since read about doing the pulleys and tensioners for the timing belt. Should I do these too? What about the tensioner for the serpentine belt? I have not done this either on this vehicle... Thanks to all who post.

107k miles 2001 Focus ZX3

·
Registered
526 Posts
The primary concern is getting it done right and a dealership will usually guarantee their work. If it were mine, I would do the tensioner for the timing belt and the water pump also. Since you said that you did not know the other shops I doubt they would save you very much money.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are you capable/confident in your abilities? If not go with the stealership, its your safest bet. If you have the mechanical skill, I suggest doing the easy stuff yourself.(i.e. serpentine belt and tensioner)

·
Registered
972 Posts
shop around there is allot of places that can do the work, don't just go to the two mechanics n a stealership, try shops around your town or make calls to local places n see what they say

1 - 4 of 4 Posts