Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should i get my timing belt replaced? i have a 2001 zetec and 136,000 miles on it

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
its not an interference engine, so you wont bend valves if it were to break, but a 13 year old T-belt can't be trusted to last much longer, regardless of milage

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
If you are the unlucky one rarely the belt snaps and then ends up in crank, it can get pretty ugly then. They usually shed teeth though and then all the rookies think cams still turning mean it's OK.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
???????

Some of that new euro math, eh?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Subtract 100,000 from the 136,000 means he's only got 36,000 on the belt. Simons math is flawless.

In crazyland.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
HeHe

Assuming it's been replaced....

Official is about 120, 130 - but with age not all reach that number.

100,000 works for safety in most cases (zetec) and is easy to remember, borrowed time over that if you don't know when it was done already.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Yeah, the big if there, the number is 120K. Per Gates who makes the belt, as least the good one. Obvious the OP has not changed it so again I have to ask the math question.......WACK

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Its overdue and should be replaced as soon as possible but if you can't do so right now, you've got till 150 if you drive the car well and all maintenance is taken care of.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As it has been driven for 136k miles, and assuming the belt has already been changed at 100k miles, so it has 66k miles left before it needs to get changed.
Notreal.. get some math lessons

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Curious where you get the 100K from? And the assumption is ALWAYS that they have NOT changed it, as it is by far the norm...........................the company that makes the belt says 120K, they would know if anyone. The number doubled up from the previous recommendation of 60K before Hypalon went into the belt.

Look at SVTs, that one bends every valve in it when it breaks/strips belt but they still don't change the belt on time. As a mechanic in past life you learn to expect things to NOT be done and far better guesses doing so. It's called banking on basic human nature.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would have to agree with amc49, never assume that scheduled service work is done. After 22 years as a service manager you'll find most people put off timing belt replacement because of the cost......we see them when it breaks.

Also, if memory serves....the 2.0L Zetec IS an interference motor, so damage will occur when it breaks.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Actually seems to be only on foreign models with different piston tops. One guy posted here from Australia IIRC and got lambasted about how it doesn't happen but then he picced the piston tops and no reliefs like we have here, the pistons were different to strike. Here with the trench they don't hit. He unluckily bent nearly every valve in his.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
mine just hit 120 and I don't know if I want to replace it. I'm planning to sell the car and right now it needs a new CAT so I'm thinking about letting the next guy deal with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe there is a huge difference between US and european motor models also among the japanese cars, I have heard from several guys in UK that 100k miles is the time when the belt should get replaced.

racerguy, I believe its only duratec which is interference, and zetec is not, but nevertheless if someone wants to keep the car, its best to replace the belt, I have had mine expeiences with a broken belt, and I know its gonna cost alot more than the replacement cost.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I believe there is a huge difference between US and european motor models also among the japanese cars, I have heard from several guys in UK that 100k miles is the time when the belt should get replaced.

racerguy, I believe its only duratec which is interference, and zetec is not, but nevertheless if someone wants to keep the car, its best to replace the belt, I have had mine expeiences with a broken belt, and I know its gonna cost alot more than the replacement cost.
The SVT configuration of the Zetec motor is also interference.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Yes it is, you risk great damage not changing early there.

AND there is certainly nothing wrong with changing grocery getter zetec at 100K, just that the belt maker here says 120K.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts