Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post up this thread because I haven't been around here in a while and need some info and I think it will also help others out in the future because I want it to be straight to the point, a list of parts needed to change the timing belt.

Timing Belt Kit: Gates Part # TCK294B (from RockAuto)
Water Pump: ?
Serpentine Belt: ?
Valve Cover Gasket: Ford Motorcraft Part # 2m5z-6584-ab
Tools: Massive Timing Tool, T55 Male Bit, E10 Female Bit

Okay, as you can see I already did some research and found out that the Gates timing belt kit is a great choice.

I still need ideas on where to get a water pump, serpentine belt, and valve cover gasket.

Also, if I missed anything please let me know so I can add it and make this the best reference it can be.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Water Pump - doesn't need to be done
Serp Belt - Dayco or Gates is just fine, but if the old belt looks good re-use it
VC Gasket - Motorcraft, part # 2m5z-6584-ab

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Ohh, nevermind. I see you've already got the torx bits and Massive timing tools listed up there. That's the only unusual stuff. There is a random torx bit in the middle timing cover but I don't know the size, an allen wrench will work in a pinch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water Pump - doesn't need to be done
Serp Belt - Dayco or Gates is just fine, but if the old belt looks good re-use it
VC Gasket - Motorcraft, part # 2m5z-6584-ab
Why not the water pump? Isn't it a good idea to do while its apart?

Ohh, nevermind. I see you've already got the torx bits and Massive timing tools listed up there. That's the only unusual stuff. There is a random torx bit in the middle timing cover but I don't know the size, an allen wrench will work in a pinch.
No, I used your info and edited my first post. Thanks for the help!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Why not the water pump? Isn't it a good idea to do while its apart?

They don't go bad often. So really no need to replace a good part.
And it isn't that difficult to replace if it does go bad later on.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
They don't go bad often. So really no need to replace a good part.
And it isn't that difficult to replace if it does go bad later on.
I did mine while I was in there, $20 for a gates pump from rockauto where can you go wrong and my stock pump was starting to get stiff

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did mine and didn't have the torx or the timing tools and got it right on according to the marks... I used a piece of 3/16th flat bar to hold the cams... then reused my old VC gasket but the neoprene ones like these hold up pretty well I just added a bit of high temp silicone to make sure... even of it does leak though its. 20min job to put a new gasket in

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get a e18 female bit its not e10.sears has a universal socket set that will work.I did my last weekend I use all ford parts $225.00 and that includes the water pump.And have a buddy around to just to make sure the crank stays next to the pin when putting on the belt on and to hold the cams when loosening and tightening them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have to do this, and wish i had you looking over my shoulder..

done all the maintenance on my bike and cars in the past, but never having done this job i am hesitant about it jumping time

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah? How did you remove the engine mount studs, what did you use for a timing pin to get the crank in the correct position?
i left the engine mount studs in and took the whole bracket off the side of the block and there was one torx which i used an allen key in... and for crank i made a mark with a fine tip paint marker on both the block and the crank then made sure it didn't move when i put the belt on... i then turned it over several times after adjusting tension to make sure all the marks lined up everytime... i also made a mark on each pulley and on my old belt before removing it then transferred those marks to the new belt by counting the cogs and double checking then made sure the marks on my new belt lined up with the corresponding marks i had made on my pulleys... might sound complicated but this way i had double safeties between the marks on my block and pulley and the marks on my belt and pulley

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
How do you remove the harmonic balancer? The instructions I have are not very clear about that.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
It did!!!! So who has hands small enough to work on the serp belt and pulleys? There is not much room between frame and accessories....needs lady fingers and hands.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It did!!!! So who has hands small enough to work on the serp belt and pulleys? There is not much room between frame and accessories....needs lady fingers and hands.
i got a few scrapes and cuts doing mine and had a friend hold the belt onto the top pulleys while i put it on

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Need a longer Wrench. or put 2 wrenches together and create a longer wrench.

Helps from the cuts and bruises plus helps put a bit more torque on the belt tensioner to get the Serpentine belt on.

-Ray-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts