Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ford focus zx3 and it has 103,XXX miles on it. The engine says Ford on the left and Zetec on the right, I have not replaced the timing belt yet and I'm just wondering if this has the non-interference engine. aka nothing will be ruined if it breaks. Ive been scared ever since a friends went at 70,000 miles. I guess I'm asking to hopefully get more peace of mind as i do not have the money to replace the engine (being 17 and pay for everything myself). Thanks all. Feel free to move my thread anywhere.... Im not really used to the site yet.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Your car is a non-interference motor. You should still start thinking about replacing the belt. At the mileage you're at, and the amount of time that very important piece of rubber has been aging, you're better safe than sorry.

It won't grenade your motor if it goes, but it is a real headache none the less.

Start buying the needed parts piece by piece and get on top of it as soon as you can.

Parts List:
Timing belt kit - I got mine from Rock Auto for a very reasonable price and it came with the idler pulley and tensioner
Timing tools - I got mine from CFM for $30
Water Pump - not 100% needed, but since you'll have the motor stripped to that point anyway, better to change it now
Serpantine belt - It most likely needs it, and since it will be off anyway, no time like the present

This is definitely something you can do in your driveway with a bit of patience, attention and research in the how to section.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Pm me your email addy for the Ford workshop manual on this.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your car is a non-interference motor. You should still start thinking about replacing the belt. At the mileage you're at, and the amount of time that very important piece of rubber has been aging, you're better safe than sorry.

It won't grenade your motor if it goes, but it is a real headache none the less.

Start buying the needed parts piece by piece and get on top of it as soon as you can.

Parts List:
Timing belt kit - I got mine from Rock Auto for a very reasonable price and it came with the idler pulley and tensioner
Timing tools - I got mine from CFM for $30
Water Pump - not 100% needed, but since you'll have the motor stripped to that point anyway, better to change it now
Serpantine belt - It most likely needs it, and since it will be off anyway, no time like the present

This is definitely something you can do in your driveway with a bit of patience, attention and research in the how to section.

Are you positive? and I think ill start getting parts slowly. Anything else that might need to be changed after this amount of miles? Thanks guy!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^ He is positive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts