Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local shop recommends that I replace the timing belt, water pump, etc. at 90k, but I'd like to wait until next spring and have a performance shop do that plus install a few mods and a dyno tune. I currently have 82k on my focus and I only drive about 20 miles a day, but it I feel like 90k will come faster than expected. Will I be able to wait it out til next year? maybe 100-110k?

thanks[:)]

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
this is like asking us if you will win if the odds are 1 in 6.

it can be fine, it can snap. but 110k should be safe, but don't push it

i would do it yourself if possible for the cost of parts (~120-140) vs paying someone 400-500 to do it.

also most mods take about 30min to install and can be done easily.

doing it yourself can save you probably $400-500 depending on how many and what mods.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time plays a factor and I've never replaced a timing belt before and that is something that I can't afford to screw up.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
its pretty easy. plate goes into the end of the cams a pin does into the block then into a notch in the crank. that tolds everything where it should be. then swap the pulleys and pump, put the belt on and tighten down the cam gears.

but if you don't think you can do it then dont

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
don't forget all the basic stuff on top of that. yknow, removing the covers, the motor mount, coolant, all that fun stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts