Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '02 SVT Focus with 105K miles and the timing belt bit it at 70 mph on the highway. Number 4 cylinder has no compression... So with the head off and that work being done, does anyone have any recommendations on some performance upgrades that would deliver the biggest bang for the buck?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
nitrous! lol, but you could get it ported. how are the piston crowns? are they damaged?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem happened while I was out of town in Indy. Haven't heard back from the shop yet on total damage.

Anyone know if Tom is still frequenting this forum? I've got a tune from him that I really like and would like to get his take.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, he is. but if you blew a timing belt, your gonna be better off buying a used motor

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
So, I assume you bent the valves?

Really, all you would need is to have the head be inspected by a machine shop ... if all is still good, then new valves, springs and retainers and you are good to go.

I don't think there is much in terms of porting the head that will gain much unless you are thinking of going Turbo.

Other than that ... maybe the CatCams, but those are quite expensive for what I heard gives you a few more lbs of tq.

-Ray-

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the cams and porting will do really well (assuming a good port job) but depending on how bad the pistons are damaged, you may need to replace the pistons too. i've seen somre pretty severe damage!

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is a chance you will get away with just some valve damage, but in a lot of the cases when I tear apart a motor that makes contact with the valves you will find a dip in the rod bearings, which can cause premature wear of that bearing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts