Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 ZX3 2.0 All Stock (just turned to 90K this week). I guess the 90K replacement on the timing belt is pretty accurate.

I was driving the other day when the check engine light came on and it started acting sluggish. I had the light checked that afternoon and it came back as Throttle Postioning Sensor (which I knew about) and a miss in #2 cylinder. I assumed it was the plugs or wires. It only "missed" at high RPM's or under a load. So I took it easy back to the house. I did notice that when it was at resting idle and I steeped into the throttle the radio would surge and get louder for a second. It acted like a spark plug wire was shorted against the block and cuasing the radio surge. Anyway I got it home and looked at the wires and plugs and they looked good. Still planned on changing them. Anyway I waited till dark and started the car to see if I seen the wire jump spark and nothing. So I thought timing belt. Removed the cover and bumped the motor over to find 5-6 ribs missing (4 in a row). now I think I am out of time. I have searched on here but everyone talks about the difficulty of re-timing the cams but no-one tells how to do it.

Basically I need some advice/How-to's on re-timeimg the cams? I plan on doing the repair myself unless my warranty is still good? I plan on changing the Water pump, Belt tensioners and serp belt while I have it apart. Anything else I should check/replace while I am in there? Where do I get the Cam tools from? Will Advance, AutoZone, Carquest, or PepBoys have them?Thanks for all the help, Sean

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 02 Ztec slipped the belt at 140k. I didn't get the CEL though. Just sounded different and the rpm's rev'd different too. Anyway, I did it myself and wan't too bad. I thought my cams might have jumped too but they did not. You will need to get the tools, remove the valve cover, rotate engine to align cam grooves and see if you can get the slots to be horizontal. Search the net for zetec timing belt tools. I paid about $20. Autozone did not have them when I searched. Good luck and post if you have questions. Here's my writeup. [loveff]

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171242

1 - 4 of 4 Posts