Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Search Youtube for a how-to video on replacing a timing belt on a Ford Focus. There are a few really good ones out there that will show you how to do it. Changing a timing belt on an SVT is the same (or at least very close) to changing one on a stock Zetec.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Be sure to use the timing tool kit too! Sponsored Vendor Massive has it for sale. The SVT is an interference engine. If you get it wrong, you will bend valves which will be expensive to fix.

This being said, it is not super hard to do. Buy a new Gates timing belt kit, a new waterpump+gasket and a valve cover gasket.

Wait a minute here, are you talking about a SVT Focus or, a ZX3 focus that you have listed in your profile? Because, the timing belt kits are different between the two.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Price point Paul

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Be sure to use the timing tool kit too! Sponsored Vendor Massive has it for sale. The SVT is an interference engine. If you get it wrong, you will bend valves which will be expensive to fix.
I didn't use any special tools when replacing the timing belt on my car; I just used marks to make sure nothing moved. However, those tools will make it a much easier and safer for you engine process and it would be a much cheaper investment than a new engine.

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
I didn't use any special tools when replacing the timing belt on my car; I just used marks to make sure nothing moved. However, those tools will make it a much easier and safer for you engine process and it would be a much cheaper investment than a new engine.
Seeing as how he is asking about his timing belt suggests to me that this is his first rodeo on changing a timing belt on a Focus. If that's the case, I would highly recommend using the timing belt tools sold at both Massive and C-F-M. I would also suggest doing some reading on this before you attempt to do this on your own. If anything, try to find someone local to help you out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Qweesy guessed SVT, OP has it listed as a ZX3 so I'm sticking it in Zetec Performance for now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt say thats what i was goint to do iv read alot iv just seen some other people aske the same its been replaced aweek ago by the ford dealer in my town but thanks

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I didnt say thats what i was goint to do iv read alot iv just seen some other people aske the same its been replaced aweek ago by the ford dealer in my town but thanks
Some people here will give a very hard time over the grammar usage. I'm just giving you a heads up on that point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts