Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when is it recomended to do the timeing belt and water pump/ is it somthing i could do in my garage what kind of tools would be needed and how would i know if it has already been done to the car or not
2003 svtf 4dr

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
80k is the recommended time. It requires special tools to lock the camshaft and the crankshaft. what are your mechanical skills like, only you can judge if your capable of the work. Search for Zetec timing, there is a how to that outlines what will be needed for your SVT.

how long have you owned your car? the best way to tell would be maintenance records.

·
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!
6,851 Posts
You do not need to replace the timing belt and water pump at the same time. The water pump is driven by the serp belt. But yes it takes special tools to replace the timing belt and with the variable cam it can be a PITA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i thank you both for that input i think what ill do is ill change the water pump myself in the garage and let my mechanic do the PITA timeing belt thanks for the help guys
-love this forum-

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Actually, the t-belt is really not that bad. Depends on the amount of mechanical aptitude you have.

·
Registered
455 Posts
my owners manual says 100k on the belt?

·
Registered
455 Posts
im at 95k now... im changing it when it needs it at 100k i checked it at 80 when i bought the car no cracks not loose no noise wore yes but not shot

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
See the thing about belts, they don't need to be changed until right before they break.

Just because the little book in your dash says 100k doesn't mean that's what you should do. The SVT is an interference motor and when the timing jumps you can pretty much kiss it goodbye. Take a look around and search for it here or even on google. Bad things happen when the belt breaks on an SVT motor.

To the OP, I'm a pretty technical and handy guy. If it weren't for so many focus friends I'd be doing most of my work all alone. That being said, I had OmniSpeedTuning in CA do mine this weekend and I didn't have to worry. If you're not experienced with it, I'd call around and see how much places locally would charge. Remember, phone calls are free.

·
Registered
455 Posts
not going to argue with anyone but you better change it at 20k just to be safe[dunno]

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
belt kit: $100 rock auto

cam timing tool: $40 c-f-m

valve cover gasket: $30

time (or labor): free or whatever the shop charges you

Not having to replace valves, buckets, valve guides, fixing head/piston/cyl wall damage or a whole new head: priceless.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
my SVT manual calls for the T belt to be done at 100k...people who say 80 are on crack...I know they have been known to go out before 80k and also known to last well over 150k! so really its on you and your own judgement! I pulled mine off at 140k and it looked awesome

·
Registered
455 Posts
140k is way to long normally the pulleys fail before the belt main thing is to check them and make sure the belt is tight

·
Registered
21 Posts
belt kit: $100 rock auto

cam timing tool: $40 c-f-m

valve cover gasket: $30

time (or labor): free or whatever the shop charges you

Not having to replace valves, buckets, valve guides, fixing head/piston/cyl wall damage or a whole new head: priceless.
+1
Couldnt agree more!

I did mine after I saw this (89k) [80?]

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah if mine would have looked like that i would have borrowed my dads truck untill my parts came in idk why some peoples look that bad at 80k when i bought mine it was like 77k and i pulled the upper cover and it was worn some on the teeth but no cracks at all maybe mine was replaced before i bought it idk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just because it looks fine doesn't mean jack. ^That pully on the left in that picture forces the intake cam back and forth like 10*^ try doing that by hand and then think what an 80k belt is going through

:)

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah because of all people i dont know what the pully on the left does lol

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Mine looked just like Mspeed3's at 110,000. I'm more worried about the tensioner and idler pulley bearings failing first. Earlier the better.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The majority of the time, the pulleys fail and not the belt. I've heard of multiple people's pulleys failing near 60k. Really a bad idea to wait until 100k. There's no argument. With the number of mishaps, it's apparent that it's not a freak occurrence.

·
Registered
455 Posts
you all can change your belts at whatever miles you please mine will get done at 100k when it needs it and yes most of the time the idler or tensioner fail before the belt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts