Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys look i know there are alot of paint gurus and so forth.

Flaming i am asking to keep it out. I also don't want to hear...well take it to a shop and have them do it there. This is WAY too much money for something that will not have to be.

Here is the goal.

The car will infact be a matte finish. I will be sanding it down, prime and then lay a satin style paint job on the car. I don't care whether a shop cn do a pro job. I want to do it myself and will probably be doing it with cans because i have seen it done and done well.

So i need to know prep for a car. I want to know what to sand with to get it reay for primer. And then what to do to prep for the matte paint.

After that sometime i am laying a matte style clear coat to protect the paint. Lay it on me so i can get it done.

Remember this isn't just bumpers. It's the WHOLE car. I am doing it. And while i do i will prolly smooth out my bumpers.

And the wheels re done flat black outer with a gloss black spokes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Duplicolors site has how to info. Also try youtube. I used these two sites to learn paint and my stuff comes out great for a rookie! Just gotta have patience. On youtube there was a guy who never painted before and he won best paint in a car show because he "did it by the book"

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i have painted plenty.

But never an entire car. I have read several things, just looking for maybe a fellow person who knows more about this sort of thing. I know most just need to know what i am doing prep wise. I read one guy who lightly scuffed his current paint on a VW site and then layed the paint. And it worked out. Not sure though.

Can't wait to get started though have yet to see a recent focus posted in this scheme.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No satin in the stuff. Gives you a flat look with a touch of shine. But not even close to gloss man.

Going for this sort of color-

That is the satin black SLR

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
You should be able to get down to the base and scuff/prep it and be good to paint on. Carquest has great products, you will want to get a sticky rag from there, one piece will do a whole car. As for primer as gay as it might sound, several cans of the rust primer from walmart will work great. It would be a good idea to use a spray gun, you can pick the one up from walmart, it worked great for me. Also if you do go the spray gun route get some thinner and some clearcoat hardner. Good luck hope you do it good!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Doing it yourself can yeild some great results but please try to use a air gun. Spray cans on that large of a surface will be near impossible to prevent runs and drips wich will just ruin your day

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Liquid i knew of that one. But mine is al blacked out. Which will play nicely with the satin WOOOO!!!

Thanks TN. Maybe when i am done we could get some people then you guys could see the stealth car in person [:D]

Should be starting next week thanks again guys.

I know i am buying the thing to go on top. I have seen it done. If i take my time i know i can do it with no issues with out a air gun. I live in an apartment. So an air gun, compressor, or anything is out of the question.

Also fubared my first post.

Wheels will have satin spokes and gloss outer part.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sport Compact Car the magazine (sportcompactcarweb.com) did this to their cars a lot when I was receiving the mag years ago. They did a Silvia and at least 2 Subis. I do remember them writing a detailed article how they painted a brand new WRX in an editors garage in one day using the rattle can method. I had it in print but it is long gone... I was on their site looking for it but thier site has always sucked and I cant even find anything on the Subi to begin with. Try if you want, it might be somewhere in there.

From what i can remember they cleaned the car with a compound to get all the dirt and wax off the car first.

Took as much trim off the car to make it look the best they could when painting to avoid taping everything.

Obviously sanding was done. (It was sad to see a brand new blue subi sanded down to this pale blue flat color). Maybe someone or something can shed light to what grits. Use sanding blocks in various sizes and shapes tho. This way u can use longer sanding blocks on the hood and roof so the panel does not get distorted. And other blocks designed for curves and such.

Paint one panel at a time so you can really cover it well with paint. So just do one fender and tape and mask off the door, bumper, hood, ect...

And buy stock in Krylon or Duplicolor cuz you are going to go through a can or two per panel/bumper.

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
Some things to consider:
can you buy the paint (assuming you're going rattle can) in a lot, meaning its all the same batch, and you buy it in a box. This way all the paint will match, as I'm sure you know, there is no such thing as black paint, its just a blend of pure pigment from other colors, and especially coming from a rattle can, it can mis-match, not just in color but also in levels of shine, this is particularly true of satin or matte finishes.
The biggest challenge you will face here is getting a sensitive finish like matte to be consistant, as it will lay different depending on what you are painting, uerathane bumpers, plastic mirrors, metal fenders ect ect. So for this instance, I would say your best bet would be to cut down the factory paint down tot he primer, and re-prime the whole thing. the best cut down tool would be a D.A. and 600 grit, then a hand wetsand with 1000, just to cut down the bigger scratches from the 600. Then prime, then wet sand 600 by hand, then wet sand 1000. of course use proper painting techniques, and you will have to remove the bumpers, side skirts, trim pieces, all that jazz to do it right. Will be a big project but not impossible, I've rattle can painted a few cars with decent results, but both times it wasn't matte finish, and I was doing it in a real body shop with a booth and all the proper equipment.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ Thanks man. Yeah i read and HAD the issue where they did the subi. Sadly it has vanished [:(].

But that's mostly what i am looking for paint help is welcome. But i need to know what to use to sand to get this baby ready. Should be a hella fun project. The bumpers are coming off as well. Going to get them smoothed out while i am doing this. So as the main body is being painted i will be filling and smoothing the bumpers. Or i may do it see how i like it then smooth them out.

Either way fun stuff. Thanks for the help guys any and all others is welcome. Prolly krylon maybe rustoleum too. But it's going to be satin like the SLR above.

Yep no both. And no shine will be needed. Just looking to lay the satin and then see how it goes. I know it can differ but i am sure i will be buying quite a bit. They used i think like 12 or something on the subi they did when they did it. Can be done, will be done, and shouldnt take a whole long time. The guys did it in like a days time then took pictures. There were like 4 so i am sure i can do it in a reasonable amount of time.

Trim is going off anyways i have filler to take car of the wholes already. Other wise i think it should go pretty good.

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
of course they weren't foci, but I think I bought and used about 20 cans per car. One was a 87 mustang LX notchback and the other was 95 caprice/impala SS clone.

There are satin clear coats out there if you look, you might want to consider that option as well.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
edit: oops I left this up for a while before I responded and got beat to it lol

look on sportcompactcarweb.com...a few years ago they rattle canned their project STi flat black and put gold Prodrive rims on it and did a step by step write-up. I don't remember how detailed it was, but I think it was fairly thorough. What I remember was they sanded anything that would receive paint, primed it, and sprayed it. One thing they did make a huge point of was doing it in small sections with light coats so you didn't get lines and runs. They also painted their project 240sx that they converted to a Nissan Silvia with the same krylon flat black. Also, they had their MINI professionally painted a flat metalic black and it turned out awesome, and all the chrome powdercoated to be black chrome.

Should look sweet on you car too...DO IT

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^ Yep like i said i read those and saw them. Decided to do it. though they used flat where i will be using satin.

Shamrock i know they offer clears and so forth. Was going to be used prolly a tad later to get it done get adjusted then clear her later. Otherwise i needed prepping help more than anything. Paint i will find a good satin that will last and go with it.

I would think that a Impala clone would take FAR more than my focus lol.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
You need to have g2g at your apartment haha, that way we could all sand on your car.

This is what I did with the walmart spray gun! I just finished putting clear on it.

Only 4 lights in the garage, it doesn't do it justice haha.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^LMAO!!! Nice that would work almost then we could cruise rockfield because the driving out there is simply AMAZING. But i hope to have it done in case you guys have one or near here cause i can imagine some reactions lol.

Looks good though and what i will myself be doing YAY!!!. I am really excited lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts