Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am creeping up to 100K on my SVT and I now am finally accepting the fact that I should change my timing belt before the inevitable.
Other than the obvious, changing of the belt, what else should I consider changing? I hear the water pump should be done and some pulleys also (which one)?
Is there anything else I need to bother with?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The water pump doesn't really need to be changed, it's an easy time to do it but the waterpump isn't timing belt driven on these cars so new belt tension won't affect the water pump at all. If you're betting that the water pump will fail within the time you own the car then it's a good idea, I don't think they fail often enough to justify doing it just because you're there.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, pass on the water pump.
What about pullys or other?

·
Registered
181 Posts
You might as well do the water pump, it's a relatively cheap part and it would suck to have to pay the labor twice if it goes out down the road.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
The Idler Pulley and Tensioner are the 2 that definitely should be changed with your timing belt.

If you get the Gates kit, it should come with the 2 pieces and the belt for a bit cheaper than getting each separately.

-Ray-

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Okay, if YOU are going to change your timing belt, then send me your email addy and I'll send you the Ford Workshop manual section 303, how to change the t-belt on an SVTF. You should change the water pump, the t-belt, t-belt tensioner, t-belt idler pulley, serpentine belt, valve cover gasket(with grommets) and spark plugs. You will need the t-belt alignment tools.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Idler Pulley and Tensioner are the 2 that definitely should be changed with your timing belt.

If you get the Gates kit, it should come with the 2 pieces and the belt for a bit cheaper than getting each separately.

-Ray-
Tell me more of this "Gates Kit" you speak of...

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
It's basically a timing component kit. Gates seems to be the popular one and I'm not aware of other brands that I can think of anyway.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Okay, if YOU are going to change your timing belt, then send me your email addy and I'll send you the Ford Workshop manual section 303, how to change the t-belt on an SVTF. You should change the water pump, the t-belt, t-belt tensioner, t-belt idler pulley, serpentine belt, valve cover gasket(with grommets) and spark plugs. You will need the t-belt alignment tools.
Why are you telling him to change spark plugs? I agree about the valve cover gasket, and if he's paying to have it done somewhere the water pump makes sense to cut down on the labor cost of that. The serpentine belt also makes sense as a wear item that undoubtedly needs to be replaced occasionally.

The stuff that's essential is the belt, idler and tensioner. The rest of it might be a good idea, but you also just doubled or tripled the cost of parts for things that might never fail or wouldn't be any harder to replace later if they do fail.

The Gates kit is 294 A or B, something like that, includes belt, tensioner and idler pulleys.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I just looked and the Gates kit is 294 B, 294 A has 2 idler pulleys and our engine only has 1 so you need 294 B. Rockauto has it for $62. You do need the timing tools (timing pin and cam holder) and a Torx E10 female drive bit for the engine studs and a Torx T55 male bit to loosen the cam sprockets. I highly suggest a repair manual, I used a Chiltons and it has way more detail than the Ford publication Missouriello offered, no offense to him but the repair manual is the most valuable thing you can buy to help with this.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
I have both the Chilton's and Haynes manuals and they don't come anywhere near close on this. It actually says to see the dealer for timing belt change.................wtf. The Ford workshop manual is exactly that, used by Ford technicians, in Ford dealerships, to work on Ford products. Your choice though. Why did I recommend changing the plugs? I'm assuming since the t-belt hasn't been changed until 100k, the plugs haven't been changed in a long time as well, so yeah..........I know they are so expensive and all, I mean copper core Motorcraft plugs are 3 dollars a piece. Don't mind the sarcasm, almost got hit turning into the parking lot this AM, by a cop. He then pulled me over to tell me I was in the wrong..........he was rolling around 60 in a 25...........grrrrrr.

BTW, If you want to borrow the timing tools from me, let me know. Hell, if you were closer, I'd say bring it on down. Actually, Mi is fairly close............think about it. Also, Gates part number on this timing belt kit(belt, tensioner and idler pulley) is TCK294B TIMING COMPONENT KIT, like 6SPDsoul said.

Reactions: alex62390
1 - 13 of 13 Posts