Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
A bit extreme for my budget.

I'm about due for a set of pucks all around. If anyone has any suggestions that would be better than stock OEM I would be interested in your input.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Just get ceramic pads man, those are great.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
3,000 for brakes?

lets be real here... its a 170hp ford focus... not a corvette or a saleen
You asked, & no it didn't cost $3000. for my brakes. But then you have to ask, How much is it worth not to rear end the person ahead of you? All the hassels, that go w/ it. I've worked in a body shop for yrs & see many rear enders. A great upgrade for you would be ST front brakes w/ a set of desent pads.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
A bit extreme for my budget.

I'm about due for a set of pucks all around. If anyone has any suggestions that would be better than stock OEM I would be interested in your input.
How about a ST brake setup for the front?

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Does the OP just want better pads or a whole new setup? If it's just pads I really like Akebono ceramics as they produce very little dust after break in and aren't squeaky as they wear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just changed my front pads yesterday to some duralast c-maxx ceramics. Haven't driven it much but I assume they should be pretty decent.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
just wondering what everyone is putting on for stopping the focus?
Does the OP just want better pads or a whole new setup? If it's just pads I really like Akebono ceramics as they produce very little dust after break in and aren't squeaky as they wear.
Asking what ever one is using. Probality getting ideas which way to go, whether its pads or a bbk.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
It's worthwhile to note that better brakes won't do a whole lot of good unless your tires can handle it. No sense in getting a BBK when you're using crap all season tires. The only benefits you'll see from expensive kits at that point is possibly better pedal feel.

Better pads will do a lot for stopping power. Big brake kits are nice but again, not terribly worthwhile if the tires are not good (even good summer tires might not be enough) and especially if the car isn't tracked. Just remember there are no free lunches. Pads that offer better stopping power and fade resistance tend to dust more, and can be noisy. Also, if you go with full race style pads they might not work well when cold.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
It's worthwhile to note that better brakes won't do a whole lot of good unless your tires can handle it. No sense in getting a BBK when you're using crap all season tires. The only benefits you'll see from expensive kits at that point is possibly better pedal feel.

Better pads will do a lot for stopping power. Big brake kits are nice but again, not terribly worthwhile if the tires are not good (even good summer tires might not be enough) and especially if the car isn't tracked. Just remember there are no free lunches. Pads that offer better stopping power and fade resistance tend to dust more, and can be noisy. Also, if you go with full race style pads they might not work well when cold.
Yea, could be^^^^^^^ for one or two times, where tires do make a difference. Just say if the op needs rotors & pads, why not look at the st front brake kit? They'll take more heat & last longer. Same as adding svt front brakes to a earlier car. SS lines are a great up for better pedal feel.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have been extremely impressed with the Power Stop Evolution ceramic pads. I went from the Ford OE pads to the PS pads and immediately noticed an increase in stopping ability. I liked them enough to also put them on our Freestar and had the same results. Ive never been able to say that about a set of brake pads.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to "Brakes, Suspension & Chassis"

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the 3k kit on mine, they are stupid good but mostly just stupid. Do stainless lines for a better feel and you can just drill your stock rotors, I did the front and rear on my 8k pound Chevy truck, huge improvement and very cheep if you have a drill press, been running them for years with no issues, the dust free pads are also great.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
How expensive are these ceramic pads and how much more do they eat rotors? I'll probably be due for brakes pretty soon.
Ceramic pads are similar to a/s tires. They're easy on rotors & don't take massive heat, at least track advents. Great for a DDer & allaround driving. If your looking for more braking power & be easy on rotors, you could go to bigger rotors & calipers via the st setup, perhaps. [twothumbs]

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the input guys!

just to clear up a few questions.

dont need a track setup this is my daily driver.

any thoughts on EBC or raybestos?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts