Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the roush suspension which is a 1.75 inch drop in the front and rear. Though I did take an extra inch off the rear spring so the rear would be as low as the front.

So

Which is best for the front tires? Toe-in or toe-out? Also how much toe-out in the rear? I know toe-out in the rear causes the car to be very reactive, which is what I’m aiming for.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
for front tires you want just a little bit toe out (~1/16"). the moment generate by the tires pulling against the ground will straighten it when you're driving.

for the rear, i would recomend 1/8" or 1/16" total toe out, unless you auto-x and want more but at the expense of tire wear. in that case, max 1/4" total toe out.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Can you translate that into something using a deciminal? (0.01)

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Insane, where's your junior high math skills?....1/16=0.0625", 1/8=0.125", 1/4=0.25".

I'm a little bit more conservative than thenorm and prefer a max of .04" of rear toe-in per side and 1/32" toe-out per side up front (did that on purpose so you can practice). Toe out in the rear may be OK for an autocross machine but it can be a real hand full on the road (especially at freeway speeds where a sneeze or reaching for the radio can cause you to change lanes or inadvertently letting of the gas or braking quickly in a curve could induce undesirable snap oversteer. Little things add up quickly.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol I did do that, but .125 just seem'd higher than what i was expecting so I thought I must have done it wrong.

There is a big parking lot 1 1/2 miles away from my house where I practice all the time.
I'm looking for snappy steering, but I dont want my rear tires to wear out quicker than a year.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's recommended. If its done right which is what I am trying to figure out at the moment, it can greatly affect the drivability of the car.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Lol I did do that, but .125 just seem'd higher than what i was expecting so I thought I must have done it wrong.

There is a big parking lot 1 1/2 miles away from my house where I practice all the time.
I'm looking for snappy steering, but I dont want my rear tires to wear out quicker than a year.

1/16 to 1/8" is a LOT of rear toe-out and will cause dramatic handling changes. It may be snappy in the parking lot but could be down right scary on the street.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ Thats how the world runs it seems.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1/16 to 1/8" is a LOT of rear toe-out and will cause dramatic handling changes. It may be snappy in the parking lot but could be down right scary on the street.
Ok. So a max of .04 of rear toe-in on the rear and .03 toe-out up front should be ok for me to take out on the road and see and learn my car again. After if I even decide to go a little more what would be a good measure?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would like to emphasize IF. lol. Well I will try and see how I like it. If I dont ill have it changed. [thumb]

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You won't need to go "more".
Those settings you stated will be right on.

You will NOT like any rear toe out on the street.
Do you mean rear toe-in?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Let's try this one more time and as simply as possible, for a Focus (and most other front wheel drivers), a little TOE-IN is preferred in the rear ....especially for the street. TOE-OUT in the rear is for competition purposes only and not a street driven machine.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gotcha. I typed something wrong and that is where I got confused.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Sorry to chime back in but if I go to get my car aligned, do I just tell them what all I did to my car and then tell them I need my car aligned? Cause I don't know jack squat about this toe in and toe out buisness.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts