Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm gonna be buying a set to replace my tie rod ends and sway links in the front. Is there any specific brand or manufacturer that makes high quality ones (moog etc.) or can I just buy the cheap ones off amazon and be good? Any advice and input is appreciated. My steering is getting rough and alot of vibration and it pulls to the left. I noticed all the bushings on the parts mentioned are pretty worn and the have play when I move them by hand. So I know it's the front end just need some help picking who to buy it from. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I purchased a set from Detroit axle that were pretty high quality for very little cash. I will add that the replacement is easy but DO NOT half ass the fastening procedure and torque settings for the sway bar links. Otherwise you’ll hear clunking until you redo the project. Don’t ask me how I know.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I installed Moog sway bar end links from RockAuto for two of my cars. They are greasable and I thought they would be quality but they were underwhelming. They work but every so often I can hear them rattle, especially when it is cold.
Went with MevoTech (supreme) for inner and outer tie rods (outer greaseable) and they were good.
I also got Moog control arms with the riveted in ball joints. The control arm part was good but one ball joint failed under six months. Also bought a MevoTech control arm and it looked the same as the Moog - just in a different box. The superior quality of Moog is a myth to me.
I get most parts from RockAuto but I shop other sites too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Moog is an excellent choice. Unfortunately the MK1 Focus suspension is an all or none propostion. You either replace all of the rubber in the suspension to do a proper alignment or do nothing at all.

·
Registered
2002 ZX5
50 Posts
Sway bar end links, I just went with NAPA all around because they were the only store that had both front and rear available by the morning of the day I wanted to do the work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For God's sake do NOT buy Detroit Axle--look great and fit perfectly, then fail very, very quickly. Made the mistake on my Focus and the wife's Escape--same results both vehicles.

Go with Moog. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
Thinking Moog may have a super cheap 'value' line now, be guided by the price. Everybody is being forced to do it, of course the cheaper parts die much quicker.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went with Ford parts for tie rod ends.
MOOG has been making bad stuff lately. A ffriend had one of their hubs fail on his Tahoe. AVOID.
I even got Ford shocks for rear of my 2002 zx3 Dealer found them with my VIN. Much better quality and came with proper hardware.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts