Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got what seams to be and axle or rod leaking through a busted boot.

Need some experienced eyes to tell me what it is and what i need to replace.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
CV joint boot - driveshaft time.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
X2, the boot itself can be changed but not by you if you do not even know what it is, hard to find part anyway so entire new driveshaft needed. I remember when you could get those all day long but the aftermarket dried the part supply up to force everyone to buy the entire shaft even though you don't need the other 50 parts there. Good job you money greedy...................can't wait till you have to buy an entire engine to get a set of spark plugs..............

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, split boots aren't much better than a leaking/broken/cracked boot.... The problem today is that a typical boot kit costs about 30- 40% or so of an entire axle replacement.... In the dealership, about 50% of the axles I took apart to replace the boot had worn or pitted joints, ( I actually used to inspect the joint and completely repack it with new grease...) so it didn't make sense to replace the boot. The inexpensive axles from Asia have made it uneconomical to replace just the outer cv boot. Complete axles, depending upon application, can be purchased for as low as $40 USD around the Bay Area... why would you want to replace a boot kit for $20-30 when the entire axle can be bought for $50 or so?

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
X2 with axle now costing $50 no need for boots. And split ones? Ai, ai, ai, bebop, I'm still trying to forget them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts