Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 2005 focus 2.0L with 9,000 miles on it. Yesterday I was driving it and noticed I have a bit of a tick coming from the motor.

I am very neurotic and most people would never notice a light ticking like I hear, but just the same I hear it and I didn't hear it last week.

Is it possible that a valve is ticking allready with only 9,000 miles?

I have kept up with all maintence so far, which is oil changes basically.

I do drive it hard now and then, pushing 6,500 to 6,800 RPM and power shifting (5-speed), but for the most part I treat it okay and don't abuse it like that on a daily basis.

any thoughts?

Also, does my focus have a timing chain or belt?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same model and same symptom. The ticking is soft enough I'm sure it's harmless.

In my mind I've narrowed down the cause to one of two things.

1. A hydraulic part in the valve train is bleeding down due to hot thin motor oil.
2. Carbon build up on intake valves.

On my car I don't notice the ticking after I've used the passing gear a few times. Does the sound go away on yours after you've raced the motor? If yes, then carbon must be the cause. If no, I think the oil is too thin.(If you decide to try 5w-30 you'll have to get "high mileage" because regular 5w-30 is almost as thin as 5w-20.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
fuel injector tick X2

and press the clutch pedal all the way down and see if the ticking goes away... if it does then your just getting clutch knock, and your pressure plate isnt liking life at the moment...

but if its consistant with the clutch pedal down or up... then it'll more than likely be the injectors just tickin and doin their job.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fuel injector tick x3^^

Kinda funny, the ticking is suppose to be normal on these engines, but mine doesn't tick at all, no sound whatsoever from the injectors! I have the 2.3 but I would assume the injectors would be setup the same, correct me if I'm wrong though. So is it NOT normal for them not to tick? Just curious hehe. Oh and sorry for the threadjack :)

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
In my mind I've narrowed down the cause to one of two things.

1. A hydraulic part in the valve train is bleeding down due to hot thin motor oil.
2. Carbon build up on intake valves.
Well you could be right- on other vehicles. There are no hydraulic parts in the valvetrain of a Duratec. The cams simply hit on the top of the valves- well actually on a cup that sits on top of the valves- but there's no hydraulic action at all.

Carbon buildup is highly unlikely at such a low mileage. Not impossible, but he'd have to be running really bad gas- like what's sold south of the border.

To the thread starter: It's just injector ticking- no big deal. Your engine uses a timing chain, not a belt.

·
Registered
872 Posts
If the ticking is variable (or is rapidly getting worse) it isn't the injectors. The solid (non hydraulic) cam follower will have a nominal clearance (between the cam lobe and the follower (bucket) of around 10 - 14 thou. (.010" - .014"). This operating "valve" clearance may be heard, particularly when the Duratec is hot because the clearance increases one or two thou.........just enough to generate a little more of a "tick" sometimes, particularly with the oil being not as viscous. Any sudden increase in valve noise is usually not a good sign. Can be the aforementioned carbon buildup/valve sticking (sometimes causing a miss), but it can also obviously be caused by wear of the cam lobe and/or the bucket face (or bucket to valve stem face or the valve stem) caused by bad case hardening or poor lubrication. There recently have been a couple of forum members who had apparent "heavy" ticking from the valve train. Neither came back with the final outcome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice to get accurate info. No hydraulic lash adjusters or lifters-another reason to run 5w-20. curtis817 has probably given up, but I hope he sees these replies.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts