Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this problem for a few weeks now, and it's been slowly getting worse.

I've been hearing a tapping/ticking noise coming from my front end. Usually I'll only hear it once I hit 30, and it'll get progressively louder the faster I go. at 60 you can hear it quite clearly. Turning has no effect on the noise, although I haven't tried turning at 60, for obvious reasons. Hard of soft acceleration has no effect either. A few days ago, I jacked up the front and checked the front wheels for any play, and as far as I could tell, there was none. With the can in neutral, I spun the wheels by hand, and I could hear a soft tick every 180 degrees of turn. Happened with both wheels.

It's not coming from the interior. The sound is often worse after 5-10 minutes of driving, once everything has had a chance to warm up. No stones/anything in the tires. No leaks that I could find in my CV boots. Everything under the hood and under the car is secured down tight. Nothing in the cabin air intake. Front brakes pads are new ~5000 miles ago, rotators were turned. The car is a 2004 ZX5 2.3 ATX, with only 37,500 miles on it.

This is driving me nuts. The car still drives fine, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well i'd def. say that its in the drivetrain, and there is a rack and pinion in the car so no pitman arm, wheel bearing possibly but that would be more of a groaning or roaring sound. could be in the transmission. can you feel it when its making the noise?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a tapping it was above 30 not always tapping at same speeds drove me nuts I thought it was in the fender or dash area but I was wrong.Then the other day I was changing my rear motor mount to a vf mount "Which is sweet by the way" was under the car and bumped the air dam and heard the taping and creeking i was searching for its the screws holding the bumper to the fender not more sound I as shocked that that was the location of the sound beause it only made noise in motion check it out it might be.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
I have a clicking in my suspension as well. Whenever the wheel rotates you here a rythmic ticking/clicking you can hear it best under lower speeds but I've heard it up to 45mph b4 the wind noise drowns everything else. I keep thinkin its the wheel bearing but if the sound of a bad wb is different aand harsher then I'm in the same hole as Pabush. Is this what yours does?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a clicking in my suspension as well. Whenever the wheel rotates you here a rythmic ticking/clicking you can hear it best under lower speeds but I've heard it up to 45mph b4 the wind noise drowns everything else. I keep thinkin its the wheel bearing but if the sound of a bad wb is different aand harsher then I'm in the same hole as Pabush. Is this what yours does?
My tick get's WORSE the faster I go. I won't hear it below 30-40, depending on the day.

No, I can't feel it through the wheel either.

Over the past few weeks as it's been slowly getting worse and louder, I can hear it more clearly, and it now sounds like it's coming from deep in the engine bay...tranny territory. God I hope not.

As an asside, if it IS the tranny...what are the odds Ford would do a ATX-MTX swap for me? Zero?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't get worse with hard acceleration, so probably not the inner CVs, and I don't hear it turning, or probably not the outer CVs. Plus I've checked all four boots, and none are damaged or leaking.

I'm trying to think of things non-drive line related that it could be. I REALLY don't want to take it to Ford and just say that I've got a ticking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
if your jack the front wheels off the ground, with the e-brake set and rear wheels chalked of coarse. Then take it up in speed, does it do it then and if you haven't tried this I would, and make sure someone is there to help you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't do that unfortunately. I'm away at college, so all I have access to is an apartment parking lot, the spare tire jack, and my tool box.

Looks like I'm going to stop by a dealer later this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts