Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By now my Focus has a little under 104,000 miles. At 100,000 miles I replaced spark plugs, drained/filled radiator and transmission, fuel filter replaced and skipped replacing the PCV since I had to order the part (I have the part now, but have been putting off replacing it). I bought it a little less than 10,000 miles ago and have changed the oil every 3-4 months (I don't drive a whole lot). Anyhow, on to my question:

I went to California to visit family and at some point I let my dad drive my car. He is used to older cars where you need to shift at higher RPMs to avoid lugging the engine. I noticed between 2500-4000RPMs under light throttle it makes a loud clicking sound (I typically shift between 2000-2500RPMs if I'm accelerating gently, so it was the first I noticed it). The next time I drove it I tried waiting longer to shift and noticed the same sound, I also noticed it upon deceleration.

The car runs perfectly fine and returns acceptable gas mileage as far as I can tell (I averaged 28-30 mpg driving cross country with a best of 35mpg on one tank, this was driving at least 70 the whole way, many times going closer to 80).

So when I can hear the sound is:
When driving (in gear) above 2500RPM with light or no throttle. I can't hear it if I'm accelerating under any more than light throttle, I can't hear it revving in neutral, and I don't hear it at idle (engine makes typical 4cyl sounds at idle but nothing you can hear inside the car).

So, what does my issue sound like? From everything I've found while searching it sounds to me like dirty/loud injectors, but I wouldn't eliminate a vacuum leak, or lifters as a possibility as well. As far as maintenance goes, I haven't replaced much on the car so a lot of the parts are most likely still original; the car is 2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SES (5 speed, 2.0L Duratec).

I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

Just drove it again today. It's not really noticeable at the moment. I don't know if it has anything to do with the altitude difference, humidity, or temperature.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts