Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I test drive this 2001 focus with 146k miles on it and theyre selling for 2100. The test drive goes good. All the fluids check out, everything seems clean. I buy it, and on the drive home I drive up a hill and get past 5000 rpm. a quartermile later I'm pulling into my house and I hear a ticking sound in the engine! Sounds like a valve hitting. I read around and hear that there is a intake valve famous for failing? The tick isnt crazy loud and I think its only starting to come unseated. How hard would it be to tear off the head and fix it? Is it worth it to take to a dealer? Should I just sell it for whatever pittance I can get?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

does it sound like that? I think the intake valve is only for the 05-07. Mine sounds like this at idle now and have yet to get it fixed. It is a tappet making the noise when the cam comes around and hits it if im not mistaken. I know in the Duratec engines, they have to be replaced completely and cant be adjusted. Not sure about the zetec engines like the one you have though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

i tore off the head today. It looks like the number 3 piston got dinged up pretty good. Also the number 2 piston had a tick in it. The number 2 piston head looks like its in worse shape than the piston itself, the gaskets all look brand new, and the timing belt is new. If it was my guess whoever did this threw it back together and sold it before it broke again after seeing the damage. Heres the pics.

The cylinder wall looks like it has some vertical stripes but they dont look gouged. I ran my finger over it and I cant feel any roughness to it, just smooth. Mabey hone out that cylinder and replace the piston and head and see if it will run again?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts