Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story: when gas was close to $5/gal here in CA, I wanted to buy a locking gas cap. Apparently so did many other Focus owners. All of the local shops were sold out of locking caps for the Focus. A clerk suggested that I use one for a different application and said that if it caused the check engine light to come on, I could return it and they should have the correct one in stock by then. Well the CEL did come on. I returned the old cap and got the correct one.

I disconnected (and then reconnected) the battery to erase the CEL light. But now when I turn the key to start it, it won't. Instead I get what sounds like the turn signal for about 30 seconds, then it stops. All electrics work. It just doesn't even attempt to start and I get the blinker sound.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since I couldn't find any posts about this issue, I knew it had to be unique situation.

Here's what I found - my car has an after market alarm system but no alarm horn (I've never used it). When I reconnected the battery, the default for the alarm was "on". The ticking I heard didn't actually come on when I turned the ignition, but actually when I opened the door. The best I can figure is that the ticking was a timer or alarm horn relay. I turned the alarm off and all is good.

Hopefully someone can learn from my denseness!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts