Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 just passed 2000 miles and when it had about 700 miles it started ticking. Sounds like crap really. I didn't notice it till I changed the engine oil to Castrol edge 5w20. Would the oil really cause this? Anyone else's sound like it has lifter clatter?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Say what? I changed it early because I'm old school I believe it a little break in period. The oil is approved by Ford.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Take it to the dealer, state the problem, offer no incites about the problem, ask how long till the problem is fixed. Are you sure its just not DI at work?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I'd guess you are hearing the high-pressure fuel injectors that are part of a DI system working normally. Is it a little worse when cold? And is it more audible near the neoprene covered component on the driver's side of the engine?

If this isn't it, take it in to the dealer. If the oil filter is other than a Motorcraft, the dealer will likely point to that as the problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Filter is a motorcraft. It makes the noise most after a long drive. I had a 2013 focus rental while mine was having ac work done and it didn't make the noise.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
STOP!!
The engine uses high pressure direct injectors. They Do make a ticking noise all the time.
Sometimes it seems louder than others. But if you pop the hood every single Focus MK3 engine makes the same noise.
Sometimes you can hear it when inside the car. sometimes not. I have no idea why it can be heard only some of the time from inside the car.
It is NOT the lifters even though it is similar.
It is the fuel injectors and is a totally normal MK3 engine sound.

Other have suddenly noticed the sound and asked the exact same question.
Trust me it is what I am telling you.

You can take the car to the dealer, you can worry about it.. No problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe you in a sense I've wondered if that's all it is but dang it sounds terrible. Like drive through and parking garages are not its friend. It's kind of embarrassing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I believe you in a sense I've wondered if that's all it is but dang it sounds terrible. Like drive through and parking garages are not its friend. It's kind of embarrassing.
I'll throw my hat in the "it's okay" ring.

It's certainly not what you expect but my wife's car is a DI engine, too and it makes a similar noise to mine and to what you describe. My best answer for why it happens after a long drive is that this is not a "regular" engine. Variable timing leads to different noises under different conditions.

I also use Castrol full synth, and I haven't yet had any issue. If you're really worried, take it to the dealer with the receipt for the oil in hand.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I worried about the ticking too. I watched a few focus reviews on youtube and it seems they ticked too (hard to hear clearly, but it seemed so). Plus a guy on here said what the others are telling you - the injectors tick LOUDLY...it's insane!

Being way low on oil causes ticking too. Not sure if you'd get a warning light if the filter was plugged.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I worried about the ticking too. I watched a few focus reviews on youtube and it seems they ticked too (hard to hear clearly, but it seemed so). Plus a guy on here said what the others are telling you - the injectors tick LOUDLY...it's insane!

Being way low on oil causes ticking too. Not sure if you'd get a warning light if the filter was plugged.
Yes, the MK3 engine is noisy on the top end. Make sure the rubber sock is still installed over your high-pressure fuel pump, or the noise will be even worse.

FWIW, my last car was a 1983 Mercedes 300SD.
It was a 5-cylinder direct-injection diesel with a mechanical fuel pump and 400,000 miles on it. THAT was a noisy engine.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes, the MK3 engine is noisy on the top end. Make sure the rubber sock is still installed over your high-pressure fuel pump, or the noise will be even worse.

FWIW, my last car was a 1983 Mercedes 300SD.
It was a 5-cylinder direct-injection diesel with a mechanical fuel pump and 400,000 miles on it. THAT was a noisy engine.
400,000!!! Crazy. Never seen an engine with anything close. We have a Camry with 178,000 though. Not sure how much longer she's gonna last though. Burns oil bad now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
400,000!!! Crazy. Never seen an engine with anything close. We have a Camry with 178,000 though. Not sure how much longer she's gonna last though. Burns oil bad now.
Funny thing was that the odometer broke at 358,000, but I know I put probably another 80k on it after that.
It was a tractor with leather seats.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
My 2014 just passed 2000 miles and when it had about 700 miles it started ticking. Sounds like crap really. I didn't notice it till I changed the engine oil to Castrol edge 5w20. Would the oil really cause this? Anyone else's sound like it has lifter clatter?
Can you hear the noise from inside the car?

Some people will tell you that it's injector noise without hearing it.

Essentially what they are saying is that it's not possible for any part of your engine to make a "ticking" noise other than the injectors. [facepalm]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Can you hear the noise from inside the car?

Some people will tell you that it's injector noise without hearing it.

Essentially what they are saying is that it's not possible for any part of your engine to make a "ticking" noise other than the injectors. [facepalm]
Fair enough. It is also possible that the oil change washed out some of the assembly grease that had been dampening some noise.

Check to see if the noise-deadening sock is still in place. The engine bay gets really noisy if it's not there. See below:

Attachments

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
ticking sound is the injectors. its normal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts