Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered prior but I can't seem to get the correct answer to my question.

Does the Ti (without the handling package) have a different (more sport tuned) suspension than the SEL.

I am trying to decide on ordering a Sterling Gray SEL or Ti

For about the same price (A/Z pricing) I can get:

SEL 303A, winter, moonroof & standard 17" rims.

Or

Ti 401A, winter & black machined 17" rims. (no moonroof)

I guess I would rather have the Ti without the moonroof if it has a better suspension. If the suspension is the same maybe it would be smarter to get the SEL with moonroof and not have the push button start, black bezels, etc.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I just bought the SE (manual transmission) with the sport package. Confusion over suspention left me searcing for answers.
So far i have come to the conclusion
The difference in the suspension is partly the wheel size.

The Ti with the 18" wheels gets a special spring rate Just for that setup Ti and 18" wheels exclusive. And if get suspension package with only the 18's the top tier sport shocks

The SE with the 17" optional wheels gets the medium upgrade spring rate
And the 16" wheels depends on the wheels, (actually SOME 16's get front one spring, back other spring on some wheels. Crazy...)

The sport touring shocks (mid level) were with Sport package, but that is STILL in a state of confusion on current orders. (whether decontented or still there?)
Mine, built end of June, does have the 'Touring suspension' The mid level upgrade.
With the sport package original content. Scan Ford ETIC with VIN to see for cars already built

I would say if BOTH have the 17" wheels, they will have the same springs. As for the shocks.. That is a harder issue. The SES would have to have the sport package to have even a chance at the Touring shock. Not so the Ti IMO.. The 17" wheels may be enough on a Ti to have the touring shocks..
I can say the Ti does have MORE for the same money, and if you are ready to buy either one, the the Ti is going to have more value in the long run, period.
I would have bought the titanium, except it does NOT come with a manual transmission. A must for me.

So NO one is clear on the state of what shocks comes with what.
Even on Blue Oval, the Ford guys place, they do not know...
All you can do is actually inspect the shock ON THE CAR and read the part number off the still stuck on label on the shock, to find out what ones you have. (and then decipher the Ford part numbers...)
I still have to try to get mine off the shocks. it depends on if i can read them with the wheels on...

·
Registered
117 Posts
What sold me on the Ti vs. SEL was the seats alone. Equally configured, the Ti was just over $100 more than the SEL and got me the sport seats plus a few other little things. I'd like to say something about the springs and shocks, it's been covered in a few threads on here but I can't remember well enough to keep from spreading mis-information.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Elizabeth!

What sold me on the Ti vs. SEL was the seats alone. Equally configured, the Ti was just over $100 more than the SEL and got me the sport seats plus a few other little things. I'd like to say something about the springs and shocks, it's been covered in a few threads on here but I can't remember well enough to keep from spreading mis-information.
a351must2 - Did you get leather or cloth on the Ti?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just found this on the blueoval forums.

This is compiled from checking dealer inventory VINs in Etis, parts lists from Fordparts.com, and information from other posters. It is interesting to see how the different models are packaged. It also makes me wonder if there are errors in Etis. For example, I don't see the "MD" rear springs being used with any model, but I expected them to be used on the Titanium with 18" wheels. Also, the SE Sport uses the S rear springs?

There is no difference between hatch and sedan suspensions.
All models use the same stabilizer bars - 23.5mm front and 19mm rear.
Both suspension packages use standard brake calipers and pads.
There are two different front lower control arms - one for the S model (15" wheels) and one for all other models (16", 17" and I assume 18" wheels).
Front suspension knuckles are the same, but different rear (I think) suspension knuckles for 18" wheels.

S
6 x 15" Steel Wheels
standard suspension (shocks)
• BV61-5310-NF* Left Front Coil
• BV61-5310-NF* Right Front Coil
• BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
• BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring

SE
With 6.5J X 16" Steel Wheel
• BV61-5310-NG* Left Front Coil
• BV61-5310-NG* Right Front Coil
• BV61-5560-NG* Left Rear Coil Spring
• BV61-5560-NG* Right Rr Coil Spring

SE - sport package
7 X 16" Alloy ET 50MM Style 2
touring suspension (shocks)
• BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
• BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring

SEL
7 X 16" Alloy Wheels

Titanium
7J X 17" Style 5 Alloy Wheel
touring suspension (shocks)

Titanium - 18" alloy wheels
8 X 18 ET 55MM Alloy Style 2
With Handling Suspension (shocks)
• BV61-5310-MD* Left Front Coil
• BV61-5310-MD* Right Front Coil
Source: Blue Oval Forums

thought it might help a little

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input.

I just ordered a Sterling Gray Ti 400a with winter, moonroof & black 17" machined rims.

Edit: I meant 400a

1 - 7 of 7 Posts