Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just completed my first tank of gas pretty much in "Sport" mode. I've tried out S a few times previously but just for a quick run. This tank I drove entirely in Sport mode, letting the car doing the shifting (I didn't try and shift it myself) just to compare it against Drive.

Two things I noticed..

1. I lost about 2mpg for the tank of gas.

2. The engine was constantly trying to find the "right" gear, shifting up and down, especially if I tapped the brakes for some reason (mostly to cancel cruise control). It would immediately downshift revving the engine hard. I also felt it was sluggish in upshifting some times, especially coming from a stop light in city driving. Seemed almost to be what many people's complaints were about with the transmission itself.

Not going to waste my time trying a tank in manual sport mode. I hate "paddle" shifters entirely.

It was an interesting test, but I'll be sticking to Drive from now on, overall the ride seemed much smoother, and I like my higher mpg! [goofydrunk]

Curious to hear other's experiences.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm addicted to sport mode

Drive mode is great for the highway but I gotta have sport mode for in town driving. The thing about sport mode that I like is it seems much more responsive to my pressure on the gas pedal and the rpm goes a little higher. I just pretend like I'm driving a manual and it works very well.

If your using cruise control you probably already are up to certain speed and not fluctuating much so D mode is better suited for that kind of driving. If you are in a lot of stop and go traffic and not using the cruise control then I prefer the sport mode which gives me the engine braking when you lightly press the brake pedal. That feature is awesome IMO. I'm not focusing on gas mileage right now since the car is so new but later on I may change my tune.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i didn't think S would have much effect on highway driving, but in the city the transmission seemed jerky, it was always up and downshifting and revving like mad. i didn't find it more responsive as the vehicle would jerk trying to find a gear it was happy with. drive wasn't so shifty, felt a lot smoother to me, and still had decent acceleration for me to go a few blocks before the next red light.

honestly if i had just purchased the car and drive behaved like sport mode did i'd think something was seriously wrong!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
You do realize that your 6 speed transmission becomes a 5 speed transmission in (automatic) S mode, right?
Where does it say that, anywhere? It typically gears the car one lower in any normal circumstance for more immediate response. I have driven S up to highway speeds and it does shift into 6th gear.... it just takes longer because it's not aggressively shifting for fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Where does it say that, anywhere? It typically gears the car one lower in any normal circumstance for more immediate response. I have driven S up to highway speeds and it does shift into 6th gear.... it just takes longer because it's not aggressively shifting for fuel economy.
Since I have owned the car, it has never shifted automatically into 6th in S mode.

Recently, I tried this when entering the freeway: With the shift lever in S, I accelerated (slowly) up to 70 MPH and held it there. Two minutes later, it was still in 5th gear (~3200 RPM). When I moved the shift lever to D, it immediately shifted to 6th gear (RPM dropped to ~2600). I also tried this using the cruise control (set to 70) with the same result.

This should be obvious to anyone that has used S mode for any length of time.

·
Registered
425 Posts
you drove a whole tank without ever going in to 6th :/

S mode does not allow 6th gear, until you press the upshift button yourself to go to 6th.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shrug. the 6th is effectively overdrive. so that could account for my 2mpg drop with highway driving, but my tank is pretty much 50/50 city and highway driving. in any case that wasn't my biggest complaint, the jerkiness and stuttering of the shifting was far more annoying to me.

i also couldn't find anywhere in the documentation that states it will or will not shift into 6'th gear.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As stated by others, S is most definitely only 5 gears. I actually typically get better fuel economy in the city in S. I drive S in the city, D on highway.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well I just completed my first tank of gas pretty much in "Sport" mode. I've tried out S a few times previously but just for a quick run. This tank I drove entirely in Sport mode, letting the car doing the shifting (I didn't try and shift it myself) just to compare it against Drive.

Two things I noticed..

1. I lost about 2mpg for the tank of gas.

2. The engine was constantly trying to find the "right" gear, shifting up and down, especially if I tapped the brakes for some reason (mostly to cancel cruise control). It would immediately downshift revving the engine hard. I also felt it was sluggish in upshifting some times, especially coming from a stop light in city driving. Seemed almost to be what many people's complaints were about with the transmission itself.

Not going to waste my time trying a tank in manual sport mode. I hate "paddle" shifters entirely.

It was an interesting test, but I'll be sticking to Drive from now on, overall the ride seemed much smoother, and I like my higher mpg! [goofydrunk]

Curious to hear other's experiences.
It downshifts because the car uses engine braking when you're in Sport mode. When you start touching the breaks it uses the engine to brake the car almost as much as the brakes themselves. It's also in preparation for acceleration. That's what it's supposed to do (much better for people that are actually using the Sport mode for its intended purpose).

The whole point is that it *doesn't* upshift until it has to. It keeps the lower gear so you're always ready to hit the acceleration.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes, yes, and yes to the above comment. ^^^^^

I don't have any stuttering or indecisive gear shifting going on in sport mode. Be more decisive with your foot and it work just great. Also use the paddle on the left side of the steering wheel to disengage cruise control and it won't down shift.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
*shrug* guess I never really paid attention to it, since I only use it in city. Makes no difference to me, I have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Ive used s mode several times and it always shifts into 6th when the engine is "relaxed". Even indicates it in guage cluster tho its difficult to see as ford chose grey over standard white lettering

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds exactly like what a sport mode should do. Think of sport mode as when racing. When you are coming to a turn, you can tap the brakes, and the engine will give you some "braking", but your right foot can get on the gas in the middle of the turn for a quicker exit.

It's not being indecisive. It's being "sporty". That's what it's supposed to do. If you don't want to drive this way (sporty), then don't use a sport mode.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds exactly like what a sport mode should do. Think of sport mode as when racing. When you are coming to a turn, you can tap the brakes, and the engine will give you some "braking", but your right foot can get on the gas in the middle of the turn for a quicker exit.

It's not being indecisive. It's being "sporty". That's what it's supposed to do. If you don't want to drive this way (sporty), then don't use a sport mode.
I hope your not suggesting to use the left foot on the brake and right on the gas in sport mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"I hope" your not putting words into my mouth.
Did I say anything about the left foot?

In sport mode, tap the brake pedal with your right foot to induce a downshift. Now the vehicle is decelerating a bit to help prevent understeering (or oversteering?) when you turn in. Since your right foot does not need to stay on the brakes (unless it's a very sharp turn), your right foot is free to get on the gas in the middle of the turn, for a quicker exit.

If you leave the trans in normal mode, you would have to stay on the brakes deep into/thru the turn, THEN get on the gas. By then, the trans would be in the wrong gear, and you would lose time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tried sport mode for the first time today after reading this. Wow! It's like a whole new car. No sluggishness, and the quick acceleration and early downshifting made me feel like I was in a race car.

Can you tell I've never driven a sports car?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use Sport mode specifically to force it into 6th gear when the transmission can't decide between 5 and 6 and starts shifting back and forth with the slightest twitch of my foot.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I use Sport mode specifically to force it into 6th gear when the transmission can't decide between 5 and 6 and starts shifting back and forth with the slightest twitch of my foot.
If you selected the gear, the transmission is manual mode, not sport mode.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Drive mode is great for the highway but I gotta have sport mode for in town driving. The thing about sport mode that I like is it seems much more responsive to my pressure on the gas pedal and the rpm goes a little higher. I just pretend like I'm driving a manual and it works very well.

If your using cruise control you probably already are up to certain speed and not fluctuating much so D mode is better suited for that kind of driving. If you are in a lot of stop and go traffic and not using the cruise control then I prefer the sport mode which gives me the engine braking when you lightly press the brake pedal. That feature is awesome IMO. I'm not focusing on gas mileage right now since the car is so new but later on I may change my tune.
Agreed!

In city driving, now that I've got almost 175 miles on my Focus, it does struggle a bit at times when accelerating. (Not always, so maybe I'm not applying gas fast enough, but it could be the DCT and it is not the same thing as the type of transmission I grew up with...)

Highway driving has "D" being a non-issue, but for city driving I think it's time I learn to deal with "S".

1 - 20 of 35 Posts