Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thunking svt rear suspension? anybody?

i am planning on replacing my pzev zx3's suspension with that of the svt's...
the question is: does anyone have a thunking rear suspension sound (over hard bumps) with the svt factory suspension, or does this not apply, and make my purchase
of > *this product* < obsolete?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry man.... im not really clear on the thunking sound you have. With the SVT suspension you'll have less "suspension travel" as you probably know. And the springs are more stiff. I don't have any weird sounds like that, but when i go over speed bumps it feels like im about to go crack a strut mount sometimes. Why don't you just get some aftermarket springs like H&R coilovers and sway bars. That's what i would do.

·
Registered
814 Posts
right now i am just trying to get rid of the slow creeking coming from the left rear suspenision area...i still have not narrowed it down. If anyone has any suggestions i am all ears.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I Don't know about the SVT but, I have had a thunking sound coming form the back of my car (ZX3) for a couple of months. I asked about it here before and I got a lot of responces. It sounds like it's coming form the back drivers side shock tower. But after alot of inspection I determined that it's not the suspension. I lowered the car and check out the whole back and see nothing that could be making the noise as far as suspension goes. I was told that it could be the back cover that covers the spare tire or maybe the jack. I'm thinking it is because I still get the noise even though I redid the suspension.

·
Registered
294 Posts
smoknzx3

smoknzx3, you might want to check the latch on the rear hatch. I was troubled by a similar clunking and finally traced it down to the latch being out of adjustment. When it started I was convinced it was in the suspension. It got so bad it would clunk going over pavement gaps/breaks. I could grab the lift handle by the license plate and make it clunk when it was at it's loosest. In the end the dealership replaced the latch under warranty.

It may not be your problem... but might be worth checking.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was asking svt owners if this product ( http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=28 ) seems worthwhile....i don't have any "thunking" sounds currently because i haven't swapped suspensions -yet. i heard that the thunking may come about after the removal of basic stock focus suspensions, i am planning to install the svt components once they arrive in the mail, and wondered if i should add this product as well. sorry if some of you misinterpreted my post as trying to diagnose a thunking noise problem. i was hoping an ounce of (preemptive) prevention was worth a pound of cure.

·
Registered
412 Posts
ManlySVTfocus
there is a TSB covering this sound you hear going slow over bumps. They replace the upper strut tower bearing. not sure of the TSB, but your service writer should be able to find it for you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I get a loud rattle and thunk from the right passenger side suspension (I think) when going over large bumps or though large holes. Also occasionally accompanied by a squeek (maybe water in the shocks?). Gonna go get it checked out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh, tsb, isee...
ok, last time, i started this thread by asking anyone with the svt suspension if they experienced any thunking.
i do not have thunking issues.
i was asking anyone if they had svt thunking issues, because i am installing the svt suspension, and i found a product that claimed to eliminate said thunking that may come about by installing a stiffer suspension.
the svt suspension is stiffer than the stoc zx3 suspension on my car.

please click here: http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertlefebvre/LPE/

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nevermind...this thread is useless...this isn't a posting on the merits of svt suspension or h/r coilovers or any other aftermarket suspension.

i am just asking for some feedback from svt owners about a specific topic.

i am sure the eibaaaach and hhhhh and rrrrr coil overs are grRRRREEAAAAT! but i didn't buy those. i bought the svt because of the price.

how can i kill this thread? anyone?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts