Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Driving home from work today about half way through a 20 mile trip i started hearing a thumping sound coming from what seems to be the front driver side tire. It sounded similar to a flat tire so I pulled over and checked and all of them are fully inflated.
I got back in and continued to drive home and it slowly got worse. So I pulled over again and checked the endlinks and anything else I could reach without taking the tire off and everything seems tight. The sound gets worse when I turn right and almost goes away when I turn left.
What are things to check for and how do I check them? Could it be wheel bearings, axle's, etc?
I'm at a loss, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
soulds like a wheel bearing. does it kind of make a roaring sound? and is it more prominent when you go over small bumps? and im editing this in because i just thought about it. could also be a sway bar bushing. just replaced them in my car with polyurethane bushings, much stiffer and less camber change in the corners

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Jack up that tire. Check for endplay or lostenness in the wheel at all ( bearing). Or, more likely, check all over the tire for a bulge or a bubble in the tire, look at sidewalls and the tread.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
soulds like a wheel bearing. does it kind of make a roaring sound? and is it more prominent when you go over small bumps? and im editing this in because i just thought about it. could also be a sway bar bushing. just replaced them in my car with polyurethane bushings, much stiffer and less camber change in the corners
No, there is no roaring noise that i can hear and it isn't more prominent over small bumps. How would I go about checking the sway bar bushings?

And thanks viney, I will check that tomorrow. Will the movement be easily noticeable and will it be rotational, front to back, or side to side movement that I will feel? Also how hard is it to change out a wheel bearing, and how much would it cost me to have a shop do it?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Front to back, also, look for a possible clean spot where a wheel weight has recently fallen off... Not sure on Cost, but if you have to ask, it is a bit involved to do without help, so take it to a shop.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have help to do it, my friend and I have replaced my suspension, brakes, his full exhaust system, and a few other things. I was referring more to length of time it takes, tools required, and what level of mechanical skill it would take?
Thanks again.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
your best friend will be an owners repair manual if you are even an experienced mechanic. get one and you wont regret it trust me. am i right viney? you need a press of some kind to get the wheel bearing off the spindle. if its a bearing you may also have to replace the hub assembly if it has gone on for too long in disrepair. a bad wheel bearing can chew one of those suckers all to hell. if everything goes well replacing the bearing and you have all the tools you need it shouldnt take more than 1 or 2 hours including beer breaks. and on the sway bar bushing i just know what it sounds like when they are wore out but not sure on how to test one without removing the sway bar and if you remove the sway bar you might as well replace the stock bushingswith something better. i think those are your 3 most likely problems. wheel bearing bulging tire or sway bar bushings. if its not one of those get back with us and we will put our heads together

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
The biggest thing is having the press, most people don't have one. I have a 20 tonne, and I still had to scrounge around for the right sleeve to press the bearing with...Now that I have done a few, I have the perfect sleeve ( the old bearing), you can do it with a vice and a hammer, but you gotta be good.

If you want to save some cake, pull the spindle, and if you cannot do it, take the spindle and new bearing to a shop and have them do it; then do all the reassmly work yourself. No more than 2 hours tops.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked out my car today and it turned out my problem was caused by loose lug nuts. Tightened them up, took it for a spin and all was well.
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, at least now I know what to look for if I suspect a wheel bearing in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts