Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. New to the forum trying to get some ideas on what the thumping noise coming from my daughters 137k 2003 ZX5 is. The thumping noise comes from the front end upon accelerating from a stop. I'm thinking cv axle but I literally know nothing about these cars. I appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 173k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 194k miles
4,134 Posts
Hello everyone. New to the forum trying to get some ideas on what the thumping noise coming from my daughters 137k 2003 ZX5 is. The thumping noise comes from the front end upon accelerating from a stop. I'm thinking cv axle but I literally know nothing about these cars. I appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction.
First make sure the lug nuts are tight.

·
Registered
18,470 Posts
Mounts won't make a repetittive regular clunk though. Look at pass side axle, the support bearing in the middle can do just that, or a cracked tripod housing inside even more that holds the inner joint. Tire with a bubble in it can do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mounts won't make a repetittive regular clunk though. Look at pass side axle, the support bearing in the middle can do just that, or a cracked tripod housing inside even more that holds the inner joint. Tire with a bubble in it can do it.
Thanks for the replies. A little more background...I never drive this car as it is my daughters. Well i drive it whenever it needs something:confused:. I discovered the thump noise while driving it to to get new tires which are on the car as of yesterday. It still has the thump noise now with new tires and a fresh alignment.

With the car in my garage now I'm going to do some more investigation. I've decided to do all three motor mounts as the passenger one is obviously shot and the car vibrates terribly. I am going to take a look at the passenger side cv axle as suggested by amc49.

Open to any more suggestions from forum members with knowledge. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I to have a Clunk... MORE like a POP noise coming from the front. If you hold the C/V axle and twist it in counter directions you can feel the slack in the C/V joint. You may also be able to pull the joint in and out. The pop noise is happening when they joint slaps against itself. I would also check the loser control arm bolts. I found mine came lose for some odd reason.. ALSO in the rear the trailing arms (which is also the knuckle" may have worn rubber bushings.. I found that on my car the rubber allowed quite a bit of up and down play and side to side...I can literally lift my back tires up and compress the shock when i have it on the rack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts