Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am adding a thrush glasspack to my trubendz borla 2.5". if i just ordered the resonator from trubendz it would have been like $80 more. i picked up a 23" glasspack (almost twice as long as the 14" from magnaflow) from advance for $25. the muffler shop said they would weld it in for $20

this way i saved $30 plus i got a better resonator! i just thought i would share this bit of info proving that if you shop around you can almost always find a better deal.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I've heard bad things about the way glasspacks and cherrybombs sound on these cars

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
"glasspack" is just another name for a resanator.....

i got a no-name installed and its pushes out a low tone.

·
Registered
975 Posts
where did u get ur "no name" from. i have a full 3 inch straight pipe from trubendz and i want a res. for it but dont want to spend 100 bucks for one.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where did u get ur "no name" from. i have a full 3 inch straight pipe from trubendz and i want a res. for it but dont want to spend 100 bucks for one.
go to your local auto parts store like advance. thats where i got my thrush resonator/glasspack (whatever you want to call it) for $25. its 2.5"in 2.5" out, im sure that they make some that are 3" all the way through.

also make sure its the same diameter all the way through, not just the pipe sticking out of the resonator.

·
Registered
278 Posts
NAPA also has em

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
you can ebay them, auto part stores, or wherever you can find em.

mine is a oval shapped "glass Pack"

that or you can get your self a 2nd muffler, but hte more you add on to your straight pipe, the more you will restrict the airflow

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
When you get this installed be sure to put up a sound clip. I have the same setup as you and I was thinking about getting the Magnaflow resonator for $67 HERE

If the glaspack gives the sound I want I'll just do that instead of the magnaflow.

Did it happen to be a Flowtech brand? Like this one HERE

·
Banned
143 Posts
"glasspack" is just another name for a resanator.....
a glasspack isnt just another name for a resonator. not a big deal but i dont want others getting confused. (i have been confused many times by conflicting information). a glasspack is a different type of resonator. the more common type uses baffles and chambers to reflect and reduce sound through inteference. glasspacks use a perferated exhaust pipe covered with fibreglass insulation which absorbs sound as the exhaust gasses rush through. check how stuff works.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you get this installed be sure to put up a sound clip. I have the same setup as you and I was thinking about getting the Magnaflow resonator for $67 HERE

If the glaspack gives the sound I want I'll just do that instead of the magnaflow.

Did it happen to be a Flowtech brand? Like this one HERE
i will def. put up some sound clips for ya. its not a flowtech but built the same way. only difference i see is that the Thrush glasspack has a 4" diameter. Flowtech has 3.5" diameter.

a glasspack isnt just another name for a resonator. not a big deal but i dont want others getting confused. (i have been confused many times by conflicting information). a glasspack is a different type of resonator. the more common type uses baffles and chambers to reflect and reduce sound through inteference. glasspacks use a perferated exhaust pipe covered with fibreglass insulation which absorbs sound as the exhaust gasses rush through. check how stuff works.
it should be pointed out that glasspacks flow the best out of any muffler/resonator. i could be wrong but i know that they flow better than the ones that use baffles and chambers by far.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh yeah, forgot one thing, the magnaflow resonator is 14" in length. mine is 23" for a third of the price!

·
Registered
975 Posts
a glasspack might make it raspy. where as a resonator with baffles will lower the tone. i have a Focus Sport exhaust and i took out the res. and it made it a hair louder. and raspy.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
a glasspack is a resonator, i am getting a local shop to make me i custom 2.25in exhaust with 2 resonators that i will be ordering from flowtech for 15 bucks a piece they will both be put on the first long pipe.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i installed the trubendz 2.5" borla yesterday. they sent me the zx3/5 model and i have a sedan. i got it on with a little creativity. im taking the car to the muffler shop and having them weld the glasspack on and also slide the slip joint out to give it the xtra 5" it needs to fit properly. i am going to have them weld it all in, when they do that it should make extra room at the slip joints.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
A big part of the exhaust sound is the pipes as well, people tend to forget that the vibration of the pipe walls contibute a good bit to the overall sound. Think of them as wind instuments.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^what areyou saying^? im sure it has to do with the sound but can you just get lower guage pipe? maybe there's something else you can do

either way it would flow just as well

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the 3in with an ORP and i put in a Cherry Bomb glass pack that was 27in long and it took away the raspy tone it had and quieted it alot, But i'm also running a PYPES Street Pro muffler as well as an APEXI N1 Tip sounds just like the HKS. Jegs has the Cherry bomb for $45.00

·
Registered
196 Posts
a glasspack might make it raspy. where as a resonator with baffles will lower the tone. i have a Focus Sport exhaust and i took out the res. and it made it a hair louder. and raspy.
If it's a REAL Glass pack with the packing inside it will take away the raspyness, A straight through muffler like the Flowmaster outlaw series will make it really raspy. I switched from the Flowmaster to a Cherry Bomb Glasspack.There was a huge difference

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
the flowtech glasspack is awesome and for 15 bucks btw that is holley performance... they know what they are doing. i will get a clip when mine is done

1 - 20 of 29 Posts