Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I need to start off by saying I am not a car person, I do not know the mechanics of how the DCT works.
I have a 2012 Focus SE w/ the "automatic" DCT with approximately 62,000 miles.
Over the years owning the vehicle, I experienced mild shudders at low speeds when starting operation but when calling in to see if this was related to the extended warranty I was either told that it did not sound like the problem or that it would be over 6 month wait to have it looked at.

The other day I was driving and the check engine light came on after normal operation. The vehicle then began to have power loss issues where it would idle without sending power to the tires before jumping into gear. It did this enough that I pulled over to call in for a tow, when in park, a audio warning went off and the dash read "Transmission fluid overheat, stop car" or something along those lines.

Dealership said it 'might' be covered under the extended warranty, but they would need to take a look at it to determine if it was a transmission issue and what that issue was. Fastforward to today, I'm told that my throwout bearing failed and that it and my clutch actuators will need to be replaced. I was flatly told this is not covered by the extended warranty and until they get in to assess the clutch they will not know if the whole clutch needs to be replaced or not. I was given a rough estimate of around $2000 for the parts and labor to replace the throwout bearing and actuators w/ a 2 year warranty coverage.

1 I want to know if this sounds legitimate
2 Is this something that 'should' be covered by the extended warranty because it could have resulted from the shudder issues
3 is that cost high, or for that price should I just have them try to replace the entire clutch anyway.

I appreciate any thoughts

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
You're in Detroit according to the user info., there's GOT to be another Dealer in town.

6 mo. wait to look at a shudder complaint is nutz, wouldn't go to them for that reason alone.

IDK how they came up with that diagnosis for sure, the actuator motors are external to the trans with actuator levers inside. AFAIK throwout bearing assemblies are part of the Two clutch assembly that's under warranty along with seals/programming for the shudder complaints.

Your symptoms before any inspection sound more like the TCM might be involved, another external part separately covered.

Actuators/levers are not covered by an extended warranty, it's the dealerships prev. desire to avoid any warranty work that makes me leery of what they say now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I would not trust them at all. A dealership will lie to get out of warranty work like that, a customer will pay full price. Your problem sounds like a bad TCM, which is a fairly common problem and is covered 100% by Ford till 150k miles. Get them to replace that first, or take it to a dealership that will. Print out the TSB and show them that as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be fair the 6 month wait and adverse tactics to what I was describing occurred at 2 OTHER dealerships that I had purchased the car from and had gotten an oil change at. I had never been to this dealer before bringing in my car for this problem, but they were the closest to get a tow to.

The service agent tried to explain to me that because the 'origin' of the problem came from the throwout bearing it wasn't covered under warranty. I asked that if it was part of the clutch how was it not covered by the extended warranty, and was told that the throwout bearing is upstream of the seals/clutch and would not have been effected by the 'shudder' problem.

Thanks for explaining the location of the actuators/levers and the suggestion the TCM might be involved. I'm primarily leary of doing the fix one part, but not the problem approach. They seemed to leave it open that my 'clutch might be burned out' but they wouldn't know till they opened it up, and thus the implication that it would be more expensive.

I need to find out if they'll replace the TCM which seems should be covered under warranty regardless and also find out what the cost for just replacing the clutch in its entirety would cost (and if that would include replacing the throwout bearing anyway).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What exactly about the problem would be related to the TCM, just so I can explain and fight my case more? Is the TCM covered under the extended warranty? I thought that only went to 100k miles.

Do you have a link to the TSB since I want to make sure I am pushing the right paperwork in someones face, and just by virtue of pointing to the TSB you think they'll replace the TCM? My concern is they're going to try and repeat what i was told today, that the problem was external to the warranty, thus they don't have to replace those warranty parts.

Thanks again for the comments, it's super appreciated to know I'm getting some info and not just hosed.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of an issue described this way, and there isn't a single throw out bearing and single clutch like a traditional manual transmission.

The symptoms of kicking out of gear or not engaging, along with warnings, are fairly typical of a TCM issue. You can find more on that and the warranty in the 14M01 program thread "stickied" at the top of this section.

Have seen reports as well of severely worn clutches with similar engagement issues that hadn't met the threshold for "shudder" replacement previously.

IDK how they decided on throwout bearing, whatever the setup used for that on this very different arrangement it's as internal to the trans as the clutches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm primarily leary of doing the fix one part, but not the problem approach. They seemed to leave it open that my 'clutch might be burned out' but they wouldn't know till they opened it up, and thus the implication that it would be more expensive.
I can absolutely, 100% guarantee that is what they are doing. Sure, the throwout bearing or whatever may be faulty, and replacing the transmission entirely (or whatever they plan to do) will fix the problem, but replacing the TCM could (likely) also fix the problem. One repair pays prob. less than an hour time, at Ford's rate no-less. The other repair will net them $2k. Which do you think they're going to push for?

There is almost no way to determine the throwout bearing is bad without taking the transmission apart, and I highly doubt they have the time, knowledge and skill to determine that without taking the transmission apart.

Push as hard as you can to get the TCM replaced first. It's no cost to you. If it doesn't fix the problem, then you can think about dropping $2k or whatever crazy amount they want. Dealerships (in general) don't do diagnostics, they just slap parts on at your expense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aside from calling around to get some other opinions tomorrow, I'll certainly push and make sure they explain why they want to focus on the piecemeal fixes. I do want to push them hard on the TCM replacement issue, but i want to know which TSB I should be referencing, and if you have a copy/link to it. I've been doing internet searching and have been unsuccessful thus far to find it. I want to make sure that when I go to the service manager tomorrow I know specifically what I'm asking for and not getting snowballed with excuses as to why the throwout and actuators need replacement instead.

Thanks!

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
If you search 6DCT250 online you can find some pictures, but you have to look close to keep them apart from the VW/Renault and other transmissions pictured with the same search (all DCT's come up).

Actuator motors have a screw for output that moves a forked actuator to engage/disengage each clutch through a throwout bearing. Two sets, one for each clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts