Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this code is for advanced timing but I just did my timing belt and checked several times to make sure I was set properly... I drove it several times before it threw the code as well... and now it takes a while to throw after I start driving... it loses power once.it comes on as well... it'll be fine for a bit and drive totally normal then suddenly throw the cpde and lose power... I double checked that my vct solenoid is plugged in so I know its not the connection... could my solenoid itself be failing causing this? I searched and saw I'm not the only one who's had this problem... let me know any opinions on possibilities

I also replaced the tensioner and the idler pulley when I did it... I heard as well that if tension isn't adjusted quite right then it'll affect timing is this true?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm fighting the same problem right now. I will be redoing the timing again this weekend. If you know someone with an SVT swap the VCT solenoid to see if that's the problem. Don't want to see you blow the money on a new one since you can't return it after you use it.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Yes adjusting the Tensioner a certain way can throw off the timing a bit.

It's a common problem when doing your timing on the SVTF ... most people fix it by simply re-doing the whole timing.

Are you using the Timing tools? Bar and Pin?

-Ray-

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i used a bar but didn't have the pin... the way i did it was set tdc and slide a 3/16th flat bar into the end of the cams then mark on the block and the cams as well as on the block and the crank before taking my old belt off... then i marked 1 cog and 1 notch in the belt on each of my gears and labelled them 1 2 and 3... then i removed the old belt and counted the cogs to mark the points on the new belt so that the new belt dropped into each notch in the pulleys exactly where the old ones were that way i made myself a double safety to assure i hit it right so the belt has to be where the old one was in relation to the belt cams and crank... i saw that method as fool proof... i then turned it over by hand a couple times and the bar was able to slide in each time... i think i'll try adjusting my tensioner again to see if it moves my cam at all... i took my valve cover off and my intake cam does look slightly advanced but i don't think enough to compensate for a whole tooth... i don't know anyone in calgary with an svt and haven't met up with any of the calgary ff members yet... i was wondering if its possible that the solenoid is bad only because the car has normal bottom end until it throws the code then its gutless so i was thinking maybe a sticky solenoid... thanks for the input

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just changed my solenoid and I'm at 83k miles. Judging by the year you have, you probably have a lot more miles than I do? Solenoid was only $76 from Tousley.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I had a new SVT solenoid in the garage at one time-let me see if I still have it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a new SVT solenoid in the garage at one time-let me see if I still have it.
That would be awesome of you did... would confirm of I screwed up or not... I checked my timing again and its dead on accoding to my checking... also only throws it at idle after I've had it above 2500ish rpm... i went for a cruise tonight and it was fine till I came to a stop and it went down to idle then it seemed to have less power as well...

And I have about 83k miles on it... 142k kms

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm thinking about re-doing my timing and advancing my crank 1 tooth on the belt while keeping the cams in the same spot... in theory its the same as retarding the cams 1 tooth but easier... logically it makes sense... has anyone who's had this problem tried this and had it work?

·
FF Affiliate
31,091 Posts
i'm thinking about re-doing my timing and advancing my crank 1 tooth on the belt while keeping the cams in the same spot... in theory its the same as retarding the cams 1 tooth but easier... logically it makes sense... has anyone who's had this problem tried this and had it work?
Well not really , the Cams turns 1 time to the crank turning 2 times you need to do what ever you do with the cams leaving the crank at TDC

If you took the VCT gear loose from the cam (shouldnt be done to change the belt) then you need to play with where the cam gears in on the cam, If you didnt take the cam gear loose then more then likely something moved why finishing the job

Tom

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well not really , the Cams turns 1 time to the crank turning 2 times you need to do what ever you do with the cams leaving the crank at TDC

If you took the VCT gear loose from the cam (shouldnt be done to change the belt) then you need to play with where the cam gears in on the cam, If you didnt take the cam gear loose then more then likely something moved why finishing the job

Tom

thanks tom... glad i asked because i was going to go that route... i'll try just adjusting my cams for now... i didn't loosen my gears off at all, all i did was slip off the old belt and slip on the new one so nothing should have moved... i'm trying to figure out how something slipped though because i had a friend hold everything in place while i put the tensioner in and tightened it up then i checked to make sure my marks were all there... either way looks like i'm re-doing the job... the car doesn't feel any different though so it cant be far off at all

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do yourself a favor and do the job with the right tools this time. The alignment tools exist to prevent situations exactly like this.

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
Ive done my belt 3 times now. Once for normal belt change, once for my front main seal, and once because I just rebuilt my engine. Not ONCE did i ever use the pin or cam holding tool. I did it the old fashioned way, put my engine at TDC cylinder 1 on the compression stroke and marked the cam gears (never loosened the gears what a stupid thing to do) and marked the cam sprocket and block before taking the belt off the first time. Theoretically if all those marks line up after redoing the belt and spin the engine over 5 times, its correct. Ive never had a problem or had to redo my belt due to bad timing using this method.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
It isn't like a bar and pin is complicated or expensive. Why use a more complicated, less reliable system when something simple is available and dummy proof? Especially on an interference motor.

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
Lol I dont see how making 4 marks with a paint marker is difficult. Im not saying the bar and pin arent a legit way of doing thing, im just stating how I did it and never had problems, when if you read around this forum many people have had problems even with using the pin and bar.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Lol I dont see how making 4 marks with a paint marker is difficult. Im not saying the bar and pin arent a legit way of doing thing, im just stating how I did it and never had problems, when if you read around this forum many people have had problems even with using the pin and bar.
Many people have survived jumping over Niagra Falls but that doesn't make it a good idea.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. You may be able to defend your mechanical prowess by demonstrating your ability to time a motor without the tools but you will certainly not be able to make a case that the tools are useless - especially on an interference motor as stated above.

Another thing that can be observed from this forum is that people often seem to have symptoms of incorrect timing after backyarding this procedure. Hell, I've even seen people mistime it WITH the Ford tools.........but I rarely find Ford technicians mistime this engine.... [scratch] Surely it can't be because they have a book and the correct tools, could it?

·
FF Affiliate
31,091 Posts
I wouldnt go that far I get about on Avg 2 calls a month from Ford dealer tech guys asking about installing the VCT on the SVT , It is a VERY common problem

Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts