Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever it gets cold outside my throttle sticks. I drove all the way to work today with it stuck at 4000 rpm. I’ve taken the throttle tube off and cleaned the flap in there multiple times. It’s very black and dirty when I clean it. Seems to work fine and flap back and forth no problem. Then all of a sudden it’s stuck again on the highway.

Am I missing something? I use a spray cleaner and tooth brush to clean it all. It’s not he cables or pedal or anything like that.

I take it right off and clean it on the work bench. What causes it to get so dirty?

Any tips or tricks?

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
978 Posts
The throttle body is plastic and warps. If cleaning the flap and body does not work you need to replace it. Take it off for a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The throttle body is plastic and warps. If cleaning the flap and body does not work you need to replace it. Take it off for a thorough cleaning.
Thanks. Maybe it is warped. That would make sense because I have cleaned it multiple times on the work bench. Perhaps it's contracting in the cold and causing the sticking.

·
Registered
15,762 Posts
It almost always comes from overtightening the plastic part. You are no longer crushing a solid gasket like the old days, the part goes down to hit solid and then a bit more and anything past that is too much. Look close and you'll likely see the bottom does not hit dead flat either, the part sits up a bit on the bolt holes which are slightly raised, there is airspace under the part and it then overtightens very easy.

People do it all the time.

·
Registered
15,762 Posts
OR, you have a vacuum leak making rpm pull high and you THINK the throttle is sticking, another common issue. If reusing the same base gasket I can practically guarantee it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When mine gets cold, sub zero, my gas pedal does not want to move, I have to hit it kinda hard with my foot. It'll do that for a couple of times then it's ok. Never does it when temps are more moderate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts