Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once and a while, driving along normally, the throttle pedal will stick closed. This is very noticeable while shifting, after selecting a new gear , then engaging the clutch and going back to the throttle, it sticks closed until you apply enough force. Once it does break open, the throttle opens quickly which causes the car to serge. It's a quite a annoying problem when it happens, not to mention worrisome.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, and preferably what the problem is and how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There are several threads on the subject here where the butterfly will stick in the plastic throttle bodies, especially in cold weather. A slight adjustment of the stop position screw will fix it and it won't come back. The IAC valve will automatically compensate, so idle speed will not be affected.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
That's usually caused by carbon/crap build-up on the inside of the butterfly flap in the throttle body. The flap is just sticking....usually happens after sitting over-night.

On cars with metal throttle bodies it can be cleaned with carb cleaner and a tooth brush......usually on the car.

The Ford service manual for my '06 specifically states not to clean the throttle body....but doesn't give a reason. Maybe they think the plastic will be affected by the cleaner. In any case....unless fixed somehow, the symptom is likely to get worse.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol:

So how do I clean it?

Maybe Ford was concern the cleaner would harm the MAF sensor?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Remove the Throttlebody and clean the underside (remove the TPS when you do this)

heres what my sticky TB looked like (I wiped a bit away to find the part number but you get the idea

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If my TB looks like that I can understand what's happening.

Thanks for posting this. :)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
$10 says my project wagon's TB will look the same if not worst.. but im not touchin that car till it warms up.. XD yeah an engine swap outside in a blizzard picture that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts