Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cleaned the throttle body. The car is running at high rpm. The car still runs when I unplug the idle valve of the car. I tried the idle valve with the power supply, it works. But there is a situation like this, when you shine a light on the throttle body, the light filters out, is it normal? The light is filtering as in the video. 07:11 minute

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
WHAT video?

Did you CHANGE the TB base gasket? Do NOT mess with the throttle aircrack where the butterfly barely clears the inside wall of TB. (your perceived light filter issue, it is NOT)

You likely created a vacuum leak doing the work and very common.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry, I'm posting and I've added a video. My first job is to drive the gasket.

First I installed the map, it used to be 650-800rpm, now it's between 900-1000. I press the accelerator pedal, let go, 5-8 seconds hold at 2000-2500 rpm and turn. Is it because there is an air leak?

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
There IS supposed to be a very small air crack of light showing like at 7:11 but you are showing way too much. That will cause high idle. There is a setscrew on TB outer to adjust that and put it all back together using a new gasket at base and unplug IAC. Start car and warm it up and when warm adjust that screw to around 50-100 rpm under the normal idle speed so around 650-700 then plug IAC back in. If no other leaks you should get an rpm of around 750-800 and no high rpm if that was the problem.

·
Registered
2004 Focus
9 Posts
I hate people like me who just post the first thing that comes to their minds but here I go: I had an Impala that would maintain 50 mph with my foot off the gas (high idle... it would come and go). I found no vacuum leaks. After a few years the car decided to throw a code. It was the TPS (discoboblelated spring and worn rheostat). Just a thought. Please don't hate me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate people like me who just post the first thing that comes to their minds but here I go: I had an Impala that would maintain 50 mph with my foot off the gas (high idle... it would come and go). I found no vacuum leaks. After a few years the car decided to throw a code. It was the TPS (discoboblelated spring and worn rheostat). Just a thought. Please don't hate me!
Why should I hate? 😁 How did you post the code? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2004 Focus
9 Posts
Why should I hate? 😁 How did you post the code? Thanks for the help.
I was just kidding about being hated but you know how it can go in these forums. Some people just type in a comment for the sake of typing in a comment. But that Impala problem/solution was such a miracle for me and since it is a universally applicable scenario, I decided to share it. Hope you find what's wrong with yours. (I forget what the code was... just some TPS failure code.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just kidding about being hated but you know how it can go in these forums. Some people just type in a comment for the sake of typing in a comment. But that Impala problem/solution was such a miracle for me and since it is a universally applicable scenario, I decided to share it. Hope you find what's wrong with yours. (I forget what the code was... just some TPS failure code.)
If you don't mind, it's okay if I ask the last question. Any chance to show you what an impala is?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts