Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of making a custom build...and want to know more information, if anyone has it, about Ford TPS's, and how they work and are read by the computer.

Essentially, (without giving too much away and making this confusing) I'm wanting to use a throttle body and included tps from a different Ford. The connections are different, (TB is from a 90's thunderbird) but they are both 3-wire connectors. Will they both send the same type of signal to the ECU, I know the load sent to the ECU changes based on the position of the sensor, and I would assume that they should function the same, but I'm also not sure because I believe the Thunderbird used an OBDI, compared to the Foci OBDII.

Any feedback would be great. Thank you![ffrocks]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
TPS is a 5v sensor, OBD I or II.
If you have tuning software, it doesn't matter what the TPS is from so long as it increases in voltage with increased throttle opening.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure that I was correct.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If that were true then there would be no issue between MTX and ATX TPS interchangeability.....yet we all know there is. Only like 5-7 degrees rotational difference there..................a minimum voltage difference.

You've said this before and I didn't agree then, You said the MAF and other things did it but I simply can't understand why then the voltage still needs to rise on TPS past idle since it would then be relegated to being a simple idle off/on tracking switch. The part could be made at half the cost or less like that. The way the ATX then begins to shift much harder like more power is loaded onto it with wrong TPS screams that is wrong. The PCM is at the very least using it for load sensing on the ATX. Knowing how Ford thinks about getting all they can from the electronics I can't see them using it like that but for nothing else.

The only thing that can change direct load in the car is the foot on the gas pedal. Trick statement there; the TPS (like MAF) only sends to PCM the fact that load has changed, neither it or the MAF can CHANGE the load. Again, that right foot...............or a hill, or tree, etc. And what's the closest part directly in line with that foot action and with carefully metered output? Dear me, I'd have to say the TPS, God help us all............

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Just spent 45 min. cruising the web and every reference I can find about TPS strategy and EEC-V. I found nothing that said TPS not used and PLENTY about how it at least is used to determine when to switch strategy from no load idle to off idle and cruise, and as well when PCM goes to open loop WOT or engine off WOT to shut off injectors. It may be using MAF for most load reporting but the TPS is NOT sitting there doing nothing. The volts may not be exact but the extrapolated algorithmic event ramps set up by the PCM using those volts are. As well, the RATE the TPS changes is used too, MAF lags then for a fractional second and is not as reliable. At a sudden throttle dump the TPS change rate is used to meter fuel to cover the hole as MAF catches up. The information is everywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts