Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few days ago i ported the throttle body. yes it made a difference but not thaaat much. responsivness hasnt improved much- there is still that split second lag between when my foot goes down and revs go up. what has changed is sensitivity. when the gas pedal is pressed down 1/4 of the way, it feels like i've pressed it down 1/3 of the way. it makes the car feel stronger and also makes it much easier when blipping the throttle during some heel-toe action. so yes it works and is definately worth the 6 dollars of epoxy.

anyway... to the question. ford has blessed us with that stupid shaped throttle plate with that wedge on one side. would there be any benefits in reducing or completely removing it? more importantly would that stuff anything up? e.g idle.

i know i could just take a closer look at the thing myself but i cant be bothered taking the throttle back out right now. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
442 Posts
On my focus the throttle cable might have stretched out some, but I cut the cable and reattached it to the tb where it was almost too tight to allow the butterfly to shut. It's not pretty; I cant think of a good way to attach the wire cable to the throttle body but it worked.

It did accomplish 2 things though: it will raise the gas pedal and elminate that first inch of pedal travel where you arent even manipulating the throttle. (This may not apply if your cable isnt stretched) My cable is the really long style if that matters,, the one that loops around the hood latch.

Depending on how severe the hesitation is, there are issues that can cause the engine to rev slow...clogged cat, collapsed flex pipe. Also things on the intake side can cause problems egr stuck open or a collapsed pvc hose. oh or a clogged air filter

good luck

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think what age is trying to say is.. the throttle plate is not flat. It is a circle but the one side that rotates down gets thicker the closer to the side of the tb. I like the idea you have of sanding this down to be flat, but I do know you will have to fill the bottom area of the throttle plate with epoxy or else you will sand right through it. I don't know how it will affect performance/idle conditions, maybe someone else can chime in. I don't see how it could hurt, all aftermarket tb's for the focus have a flate metal throttle plate. Just thought I would help clear that up so you could get some better responses.

Here's a pic to show the thinner side of he throttle plate:

Here is a pic from directly above the throttle plate when it's open, you can clearly see the bottom half gets thicker:

And finally a shot from the bottom showing the indented area on the bottom of the throttle plate that is the cause for the thicker area:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
oh, i see what you are talking about now. if it still would seal you would be ok but, if you can see light through it you might have some idling issues.
----------------------------
Here's a pic to show the thinner side of he throttle plate:
i see that you put some epoxy over the idle hole. does your car still idle ok? i would think that would reduce flow IMO. air travels through the idle hole all the time so wouldnt it be better to have air flowing both holes. i would think that your engine would have less of a bottle neck and breath better.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha victory! thats exactly what im talking about. thanks focusonthis for the pics! if someone has a tb laying around could they please take a look if the throttle would still seal up if the thick bit is ground off? or if someone has done it they can chime in. thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts