Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just had a quick question about the throttle cable. My son is starting to drive now, and we have noticed a bit of play in the gas pedal and cable system. Is there a way to tighten the cable? or do I have to string in a whole new one? Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
i dont know if he has the zetec motor or not, but sometimes it can pop out of the cable stay by the throttle body. I noticed mine did that before and I had a lil slack. either way, its about a 10 second check to find out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is 2.0 zetec, I noticed the cable is realy sloppy - loose by the pedal, just wondering if there is some procedure to tighten it at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, the black plastic piece fits over the throttle control, there is a little play in the plastic bit over the throttle piece as well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Should be a spring at the the end of the cable at the pedal. Maybe stretch it a bit. I just replaced mine. New from the dealer is over a $100. Maybe try a salvage yard.

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Look under the dash, find where the cable attaches to the pedal. If you can't get a new spring, then look and see if there is a way to put some fishing weights, or zip ties between the washer on the spring and the end of the cable. I did that on my old Ranger to tighten up the cable. The Focus should be similar.

I can't believe that the price was $100 for a cable. I don't think I've ever paid more than $30 for an accelerator cable- it's not like there's some wacky new technology to cables.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I can only guess it was because of all the grommets and spring and clips. You know how the dealerships get you for the parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
throttle cable stayu

My 02 focus has been starting, but then stalling right away. I've noticed if I play around with the throttle cable, then it will stay running. Dj blackout was talking about the throttle cable stay and that feels really loose. How do I tighten it. The cable doesn't feel loose, just the cable stay.
Suggestions please

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
It's a square chunk of rubber with a groove in it. You give it a 1/4 turn to tighten it,,, pull it out once and you'll see exactly how it works.

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
My 02 focus has been starting, but then stalling right away. I've noticed if I play around with the throttle cable, then it will stay running. Dj blackout was talking about the throttle cable stay and that feels really loose. How do I tighten it. The cable doesn't feel loose, just the cable stay.
Suggestions please

It's a square chunk of rubber with a groove in it. You give it a 1/4 turn to tighten it,,, pull it out once and you'll see exactly how it works.

Thanks. Is this adjustment near the throttle or the pedal?
There is no adjustment, as stated.
You said the stay seemed loose; that is all I commented on.

·
Registered
15,485 Posts
I wouldn't do that. Fix the car correctly. Anytime you can keep the car running by pulling on cable you are opening the butterfly slightly, that is a safety issue and can be dangerous. You are past taking out the looseness and actually pulling the cable. Very bad thinking. The car should idle fine all day long with 5 miles of slack in the cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you guys know if anyone makes a reaplacement cable that doesn't cost $100? I've checked with salvage yards around me and for some reason they all cut them when they get the cars in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts