Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my 65mm Throttle body and it says to grind the intake out to 65mm. I was looking at it, and you can't really plug it while grindng and if you get any crap into the intake, your screwed. Could somebody please tell me if it is really required, I put it all together and I get increased throttle response, but would I get more if I grinded it to 65mm? If so, can I take the entire intake off to do it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It would help flow but isn't necessarily needed. If you wanted to do it, take the TB off, stuff some old rags into your intake, and get out your dremel. The rags will catch anything coming off the dremel so you shouldn't have much to worry about.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Well, even though the rags would catch most of the crap that is being ground off, something would still (most likely) find it's way into the manifold. If you are going to grind it out, I would take off the manifold. This requires more time, but would guarantee that nothing will damage your engine. Don't forget about getting a new manifold gasket if you.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah, it'll take pretty much the better part of a day.

If you do this, most of what's going to be coming off is plastic, which will burn up in the combustion chambers and will not hurt your car. The reason for the rags is the junk that will come off your dremel bit(s).

You'll be fine if you do it on the car with rags in the intake. Btw, helps if they have a little oil on them so the pieces stick to the rags.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the TB on the car and kept the intake stock and the car acts like it is on crack, the lightest touch of the pedal and the car shots forward. Would boring out the intake make it worse or better?

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
i honestly dont think its going to make a lick of difference. Dont waste your time.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
The TB's are VERY sensitive to touch. You do get used to it after a little while. I didn't bother matching the Intake, as others have said, more trouble than its worth. If I had the intake off for some reason I might, but the small amount of power you would gain is not worth the work. Unless its already off.
Also, when I put mine on I had to do it twice as I did not get a good seal between the TB and the manifold. Make sure you do not have an air leak there as that makes it even more touchy. Did you unplug the battery to reset the computer for the new TB. If not, do it and let the car just idle for about 5-10 minutes so it can relearn the new amount of air. You can even watch the tach and see the car relearn the new TB.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TB 65 mm

I'll take it off and reseal it, maybe I have a leak and that's causing the problem. Right now it is way to touchy, I'm having to really ride the clutch for it to be a bit smooth. I'm thinking that they may work on auto's, but suck on sticks.

Has anybody experienced the same issue as me? I'm running a Volant MAF.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Night and Day

Well...I sealed the TB and now the car acts like it did when the stock TB was on there, I'm not even noticing better throttle response now. I'm glad I brought the TB used, if I had spent 250 bucks on it, I would be really pissed !!!!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
i love my fc tb, you get used to the touchy-ness eventually...def my fav mod as far as driveline/driveability it should have come like this from the factory!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts